D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By turbopseidon
#347311 I have a 92 lx 4dr I have been working on, I put a new timing belt and water pump in and all was good started right up. I left it for the night and tried it again the next day and no start.. It had no spark..I had a Spair dizzy so I put it in. It started up. I've been running it up for the past 2 weeks with no problems ( not driving it, was on jack stands) today I put it on the ground and went to move it , it sputtered when I put it into gear then died right after. I checked spark and no spark again, tried the dizzy is my buddies car and it didn't start...bad dizzy again...is it coincidence that they keep dying or could it be something making it die? I am unsure as to what part has failed in both dizzys. Any ideas?
By suspendedHatch
#347312 There are different parts inside the distributor that can fail. The cam sensor isn't replaceable, but the coil and ignitor are. So you generally only replace the whole housing when the cam sensor goes out (very rarely) or when the distributor starts leaking and replacing the o ring doesn't fix it, indicating that the shaft is wobbling.
Ignitors and coils commonly fail. They should be tested before being replaced (simple test with a multimeter) and if you put in a used one, it should be tested as well.
Ignitors and coils are common to all 88-00 Civics, most Accords and Integras. You should grab a couple and some of the little wires and screws whenever you're at the junkyard, because they are pretty expensive to get brand new.
By turbopseidon
#347421 It was the coil.. But is it possible that something is making the coils fail?