D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By blkgto
#331794 I am new, and this is my first Honda. I have a 92 vx and I am wanting to swap in a motor with a little more power. I have found a D15B. I have searched and not found much. What all is required to swap this moto,r and what ecu do I need? Thanks.
By brandoff88
#331799 do you mean a d15b vtec? theres a few d15b's in the Honda family need a little more info, and usually the ecu to use in a swap is a chipped p28 or virgin ecu that came with that motor.
By TrailerTrash
#331812 drop it in, run wires for VTEC, and swap out the ECU for a p28. no need for a chip
By blkgto
#331840 It is a D15B and it is VTEC. The guy from Jspecauto said it is dual VTEC and that the wiring would not work without some modification.
By TrailerTrash
#331843 yeah, as in your stock harness is not a VTEC harness. so youll have to run your own wires or get another harness.

and im not sure but that might have the o2 sensor with more than 2 wires you might have a problem there aswell
By brandoff88
#331845 oh ok your talking about an obd2 3 stage vtec, yeah you would need to convert to obd2 with jumper harnesses and what not, I would personally go with the jdm d15b vtec obd1, its not the three stage but its what I have In my car, and if you have a d series already all you goota do is drop in the motor and trans and run vtec wires, and get a p28 obd1 ecu, change fluids, thermostat, plugs, and timing belt/water pump if your going to swap, save yourself some work in the future. should be pretty straight forward. yo can even resuse your axles if they are in good condition, I would double check all your suspension/break components whil eyou got the motor out too, make sure everything is up to snuff. gl with swap, hope everything goes good. :thumb:

hey trailertrash your running d15b as well right?
By TrailerTrash
brandoff88 wrote:oh ok your talking about an obd2 3 stage vtec, yeah you would need to convert to obd2 with jumper harnesses and what not, I would personally go with the jdm d15b vtec obd1, its not the three stage but its what I have In my car, and if you have a d series already all you goota do is drop in the motor and trans and run vtec wires, and get a p28 obd1 ecu, change fluids, thermostat, plugs, and timing belt/water pump if your going to swap, save yourself some work in the future. should be pretty straight forward. yo can even resuse your axles if they are in good condition, I would double check all your suspension/break components whil eyou got the motor out too, make sure everything is up to snuff. gl with swap, hope everything goes good. :thumb:

this.

brandoff88 wrote:
hey trailertrash your running d15b as well right?

your dam skippy :thumb:
By blkgto
#331857 Thanks for all the replies. What is the difference in the wiring for the vtec-e solenoid and the three stage solenoid?
By suspendedHatch
#331876 There is no such thing as a VTEC-E solenoid. All VTEC solenoids from a particular engine series and generation are identical. The difference between VTEC and VTEC-E exists in the cams and in the ECU.

The double solenoid on the 3 Stage VTEC has two wires and a different plug. Wiring isn't an issue - having the P2J ECU for a manual trans is.

The 3 Stage VTEC has EGR like the D16Y5 (Civic HX).