D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By Hatchables
#578 I know it is a personal preference, but Im looking for your opinion. I have a 92 CX hatch, daily driver. Have a 93 Z6 out of an 93 SI hatch that needs rebuilt. I dont really want to do a turbo kit due to $ and it being a daily driver..reliability. Shall I Just do a high compression z6, cam, I/H/E & tune, or shall I just suck it up for a DOHC? I dont want to work on this everyday after working on cars all day. But i dont want to drop 3K on a completely fresh z6 and have it do a 15.0ET when I can get a b16A installed for $2500, know a B16 can get me a 15.0et.
By teal_dx
#580 If you are going the N/A route, I would say go with a B16. A D-series in N/A form will take a lot of work to get you decent numbers. This is why you don't see a lot of N/A D-series.
By Hondelso
#607 i agree with teal. you get the best bang for your buck with the B16a at those prices.
By Mike
Hatchables wrote:I can get a b16A installed for $2500, know a B16 can get me a 15.0et.

:shock: ....

Holy. Hook me up while your at it.
Yea, I was going to get a b16a gen2 aswell for my hatch, but sourcing it out and a new exhuast for my ride came to like $4,200. for a completely mint 50,000 km motor, with mugen headers, and apexi ws2.
Now that reality set it, im sticking with the sohc, d16z6 that was in my car originally and i am rebuilding / replacing parts one at a time, so that once im done and the turbo set up goes on there It'll be just as good or better than a b16a.
By hondaeh9
#20305 single cam turbo..but dont boost to high so u start blowin stuff up...but throwing a b16 in their would prolly be more reliable...so i guess i would say go with the b series and call it a day
By Greasedmonkey
#20330 I would go for the DOHC swap all day any day in most cases. The only time I would not swap for a DOHC is in the case of a B16a. I cant stand that motor anymore. Yea its got vtec and 160hp and shite...but still has the torque of a D series. If you go B, do B18c/b or B20b/z. Dont waste your time on the B16a. All its good for is the tranny.
By stefan
#20332 I'd go for a SOHC D-series if you want to stick with those engines.
I've blown a couple of DOHC's, without too much abuse.
I've also blown 2 D15's, but that was more because of other things than the engine itself.

The DOHC D16 sounds good, revs good, is fast and strong, etc etc...
But fact is, the shortblock is kinda weak (by design, the oilpump and/or pickup are also weak links), and in the States they're heavily overpriced (a ZC swap at PW:JDM would set you back about 1100 bucks... I payed 350 euro's for each engine, including oil/coolant/oilfilter and the seller helping me swap them out).
By Sire
Greasedmonkey wrote:The only time I would not swap for a DOHC is in the case of a B16a. Yea its got vtec and 160hp and shite...but still has the torque of a D series.

True, you will get more torque out of the D-setup you described than a standard B16. And if you get a B16 you probably still want to get I/H/E for it, wich would kick the price up some more... I think that you will get a very reliable and decently quick car if you go the way of the D you described... :thumb:
By asianrob
#20346 go K series!!! :thumb: :woot: :woot: