D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By cjw_89
Butterzz wrote:The FITV is located on the bottom of the throttle body. 99% of the time it's the cause of idle surge in a D series.

To fix it:

1. Personally I like to remove the entire throttle body first so it's easier to get at the FITV.

2. Remove the FITV (the highlighted section). There should be 3 bolts holding it to the throttle body.

3. Remove the plate at the end of the FITV. This is going to reveal the plastic piece that comes loose.

4. You'll see a white plastic piece on the inside. Unscrew it by rotating it counter clockwise until it comes out. It does come apart so make sure it doesn't come apart and fall all over the place. It should look like this:

5. Clean all the pieces to the FITV and reinstall it within the housing. Flip the FITV over to see the side that connects to the throttle body. There should be 3 holes (other than the bolt holes). Looking at the one highlighted in the image, you should tighten your plastic portion on the inside of your FITV until it is flush with the inside of that hole - the same way it is shown in this picture:

6. Bolt your FITV back to your throttle body, and your throttle body back to your intake manifold; making sure you connect all the coolant hoses and such. That should solve your idle surge problem.

PM me or let me know at least if this is helpful :)

I have an fitv probelm with my 93 ls swapped hatch.I cleaned the iacv and reinstalled it but my car start up and idles around 25-3 then it lidles down then the fluctuating start..But after a few mintues of hunting idle the car will idle down to a little over 1000...

I KNOW it needs to be cleaned but my question is when i remove the plastic screw and reinstall it do i go bar tight with it,put it back to the where it was before.... I read on youtube that you tighten it in then turn it back an 1/8 of a turn ?

I need some clafirication, cause i cant really understand what you mean by going flush in the picture,its kinda hard to see hpw far it really is in.Any help would be sweet,i have an inspection wednesday and i would like to fix my problem :D
By OleFolk
#239866 This whole idle thing is really obnoxious
Can something like this thread be stickied I see a lot of these
By EJ1STYLEN
#240341 yeah trying cleaning out the fitv, i had the same problem and i thought it was my idle air control valve. and it kept surging, and surging. so i checked my fitv and cleaned put it back together boom!! no more surging. try it!!
By kagedws6
#240906 I'm having the same issue too and its probably just air caught in the system since I just replaced one of the coolant hoses last week.
By Butterzz
#241450 Just as I posted, the FITV is often the problem with a D series idle surge. Or any honda idle surge really..
By orangeEG
#252698 my car was idling at 2100RPMs and before that it would bounce the idle from 1000-1800rpms but i cleaned the FITV and its great now... thought i'd add my 00.02 incase anyone is having the same issue. :thumb:
By MG6
#327167 Is it just me or the the VX D engine doesn't have this at all?

I took it off and don't even see the FITV at all. :?
By ktang
92civic_vx wrote:i fixed my idle problem with the fitv. all it really needs is to be screwed back in they tend to back out over time with vibrations. cleaning it is good if u already that deep into it you might as well.. just be careful of the 2 8mm screws that hold the back plate on. both of mine snapped off in the fitv so i had to drill and tap it out to put new bolts in.

I tried to be extra careful, but even with liquid wrench, one of mine broke off. I was able to clean and reassemble the part, and then screwed it back as deeply as it would go. So far so good driving to and from work today. Off to the junkyard this weekend I go!

Thanks!