Post YOUR Del Sol here
By member201806
#256279 Hey whats up, names Scott recently just bought a Sol while home on leave from afghaniland, I get back in a couple weeks with Loki_95Eg so the build will begin when I get back, just thought I would post some pics up to see what you guys think, get some positive feedback and maybe some ideas and talk a lil about things. This is my first project so Im lookin to do things slowly and right!

right now I'm open to ANY idea's or suggestions. As for the engine, i have been juggling a few idea's and would love any feedback i can get. I'm undecided between the B18C5 or the H22A. I've heard great things about both, and this is my first engine swap. Everything else is still up in the air, such as color, bodywork, everything.

The car is completely stock, although at one point i'm sure it came with a radio :thumb: The springs have been cut, not lowered. For now, here are some pictures of the body, I will post pictures of the leaky garbage d16z when i get a chance.

the trunk...

the interior...

And, of course the engine! sorry, alot of the pictures may be non-sense or i may have missed some that you want. Right now I am in afghanistan so i can't take any more, but here's the ones i have;

Last edited by member201806 on Sun May 22, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
By Loki_95EG
#256281 Good lookin start to your build thread man!! Cant wait to get back and help ya work on her! :thumb:
By HAFIL0_EG
#256287 nice project ya have there, have you considered k series motor? as for starting things off i'd do bodywork/wheels as its the first thing noticed on the ride.
By member201806
HAFIL0_EG wrote:nice project ya have there, have you considered k series motor? as for starting things off i'd do bodywork/wheels as its the first thing noticed on the ride.

yeah, i thought about that, but i figured it would be best to get the engine in there, and even though it'll look shitty, it'll still burn most cars out there.

As for K-series, hell yes i love it =D I have another car, an 08 civic si coupe, and it's absolutely the most amazing thing i have ever driven. The problem is, though, i've looked into the aftermarket support for the k-series, and it still seems so limited. A proper turbo kit runs at least 3500, and the k20z3 itself is hella expensive. Even though i'm planning on spending quite a bit anyways, I wanted to keep it reasonable.
By jayEGR
#256381 very very very nice project :hehe: an talk bout blk on blk :lol: ,looks good whts your plans an welcome to the site :thumb:
By member201806
#256391 lol thanks alot man =D my plans start with an engine swap (h22a or b18c5). I'm still doing the research, but right now it looks like the b18 is a better choice. a more expensive choice, but in the long run...

after that, everything else. madrats sol completely inspired me, lol. I want it to look like THAT, but it's already been done. so, i'm open to anything now =D
By dbrooks
#256531 i would go with a b series engine for your first swap! and you could save some money if you got a b18c1 and got upgraded cams. then you could make better power then a c5 and save a couple bucks at that. haha

it definitely looks like a good project though! :thumb:
By member201806
#256611 yeah dude, thanks alot! i was thinking about boosting, so it would probably be alot cheaper and more efficient to get something like the c1, then just redo the internals anyways.
By dbrooks
#256644 for sure man!
By member201806
#256702 i'm super excited to get back and start working on it! i've been doing research when i have the time, but I'm still not sure what engine i should look for.

So far, from what i understand, if i want to boost I need lower compression. Does that mean that a car with higher compression is actually weaker for boosting then an engine with lower compression?
By 1ACarlos
#256736 Looks clean no rust. Perfect project car.
By dbrooks
member201806 wrote:i'm super excited to get back and start working on it! i've been doing research when i have the time, but I'm still not sure what engine i should look for.

So far, from what i understand, if i want to boost I need lower compression. Does that mean that a car with higher compression is actually weaker for boosting then an engine with lower compression?

i googled and found this. i think it's pretty accurate and gives a knowledgable answer.

Why is low compression better for a Turbocharged Engine?
You make horsepower by how much air you move through the motor. A high compression 10:1 engine is more efficient than a 7:1 engine, so the 10:1 engine gives you more bang for the buck. However, because the lower compression is not as efficient, it will move more air through it. So, at 15 PSI of boost, the 7:1 engine will have an effective compression ratio of 14:1, will not be into detonation, and be moving more air, making more horsepower than the same conditions for the 10:1 engine. That engine will be in self-destruct mode, have detonation, and an effective compression ratio of 20:1!

This is why the racers only run 5:1 or even 6:1. All of this is great for a drag car, but because the static compression is lower, you will not have much bottom end torque either. So, since most of us don't drag race every place we go, a good compromise would be 8:1 or 8.5:1 compression. This way you don't loose too much bottom end for driveability, and if you don't run too much boost, say 10 to 15 PSI, you stay away from the gray effective compression area of 15:1 and up.

Remember, that the shape of the combustion area, cam, type of fuel, etc. all play a part of when the engine starts to detonate. It comes down to start with low boost, and sneak it up from there until you run into problems.
By member201806
#256854 damn, that really helps :) i'm going to start looking for an LS vtec OBD1 to start building while i'm over here now. boosting a GSR just isn't right. it'll blow itself up!
By member201806
#258767 anyone know a good site or shop to find a good b18b1?