Post YOUR Del Sol here
By LaMbErT*
#144182 Im not very clued with turbos but you could honestly write a book, that was an intense read of today!

Thought i was gunna break down before the end thinking is there a happy ending to this story ? lol
By the ghoul
#144193 car paranoia

I think its ever since i moved out of my parents place and rely on my car more heavily..
Maybe its because the first turbo install ended so horribly
But im paranoid as all hell about my car right now.
I went home for lunch worked on it some, went inside warmed up some pizza and couldn’t stand the thought of eating it, my stomach has be tied up ever since I left for work this morning…
This morning I start the car to let it warm up and notice a big puddle of something under it. I thought at the time it was oil, and was dead sure the lack of a catch can was forcing oil out of some where or the breather box on the back side of the engine blew out or something. Also the idle is up at the 2k mark.
I check the oil, it looks a little low but no biggie, I add some and go to work.
On the way to work some weird smells and occasional smoke from under the hood.
*mini freak out*
Just before lunch I go out to the car and see that it’s a puddle of coolant and its dripping from the turbo some where. Ok that makes more sense than the breather box thing. I also notice the turbo drain line is kinked and damn near folded in half. I jump on line and realized what I though was a throttle body coolant valve (that I bypassed for the turbo coolant lines) is actually the hot idle control valve (solves the idle thing).
LaMbErT* wrote:Im not very clued with turbos but you could honestly write a book, that was an intense read of today!

Thought i was gunna break down before the end thinking is there a happy ending to this story ? lol

yah know what
in the end i feel every thing is there for a reasion.
I jumped into this whole thing a little too fast, and tried to save money, piece it together with what ever i had kicking around....
This whole thing has showed me i need to pay attention to the homework i do.
oh,
that and always have an extra engine kicking around for emergency use :wink:
I talked to my pops and he said im more than welcome to use the extra car for how ever long i need it.

first step when i get home is to pull the air filter and see if there is any shaft play

if so i know the metallic noise was the turbine hitting the case and the stumbling at 0 psi also was.

if no shaft play ill run to the auto store and pick up a set of colder plugs.

if that doesn’t solve it the turbo kit is coming off.

if things dont go back to normal im going to baby the heck out of the car (keep an extra $100 around for a tow truck) and ill just drive it short range (work and back) till i got the money to build another engine, or until it dies....
what ever one comes first!

I feel like im complaining a whole lot here and i appreciate the opportunity to vent. It just feels way better to lay every thing out in a *some times* logical manner.
By PandaHatch
#144205 damn good luck with everything man.
By PandaHatch
#144243 hey looks like I dont have to wait until after winter to see what the EK del will look like W/0 the front kit.Image
I like this bumper better but still great work and devotion.
By the ghoul
#144326 that looks like the 2000 si with a lip on it.
I admit much better than what i have....
actully....
i like that a whole heck of a lot now that i look at it closer (guess its just my day for admitting im wrong...)

welll i guess you guys see this coming, i wish i could just gloss over it, but i feel id be doing a major disservice only presenting the good parts of my build.

Back to NA
Well I don’t know if the lifter tick or the very slight knock was there this whole time and I just didn’t hear it because I had a loud exhaust, but after freaking out about large puddles of mysterious fluids on the drive way, suspicious metallic tapping noises (when the throttle was released after winding the engine up to about 4-5k). I decided that even though I gave it my best shot twice in a row im about 90% of the way to having a full turbo kit but sadly I don’t feel comfortable with the base I have right now.
Yes it’s a very low knock that would barely be audible, and yes the lifter tick is just a sign of age, I cant ignore the fact that this is my daily driver and I do not have the parts or the means to build another engine in a few weeks time.
Im going to still collect parts for the kit, and possibly rebuild one of the two turbos (one I was using now has a bit more shaft play than I remember) but I wont feel good slapping it back on the car until I have either a replacement engine sitting in the corner or the pistons, rings, bearings and seals to build up the b18 lower end I have.
I think in the long run this will be the best bet.
I cant say this has been a waste of time, I now know a lot more about turbo systems than I did when I started, and I now realize just how fragile they are…. I just wish this wasn’t my DD so I could run it till it popped and then fixed it on my free time.
By PandaHatch
#144328 I thought your dad said you could use his car? rebuild the motor you have and then put the turbo on... Thats what I would do. You werent proven wrong about the bumper I was just saying that it would look better. I actually photochopped your car and couldnt paint it so i posted it in the photography section for paint...I recieved that pic. anyway that $70 bumper is better than none.
By the ghoul
PandaHatch wrote:I thought your dad said you could use his car? rebuild the motor you have and then put the turbo on... Thats what I would do. You werent proven wrong about the bumper I was just saying that it would look better. I actually photochopped your car and couldnt paint it so i posted it in the photography section for paint...I recieved that pic. anyway that $70 bumper is better than none.

nah im just saying i said before that i didn’t like si bumpers with lips on the delsols but that picture makes it look good. i like it alot.
I thought about using the families extra car for a while and rebuilding this engine but to rebuild this engine id need at the very least rings, bearings, gasket kit. if it damage is excessive id need to have the block bored, decked, and crank re-finished, and over sized pistons.
right now i have a b18a block, eagle forged crank (nib), Eagle forged h beam rods (nib).
To rebuild that one i need; decking, boring, pistons, rings, bearings, arp stud kit, gasket set, crank pully.
i would rather build that one with some hybrid pistons (endyne), re-fresh the b16 head with springs, and retainers and gsr cams and have a poor-mans gsr.
Then rebuild the b16 lower end as a back up.

but for now im sure i have about 1-2 years DD use out of this engine before i have to do any thing.

this just has opened my eyes to how much i would have been bummed out if i had destroyed the engine and just how much i need a plan B for when that happens. (i know it will !)
By the ghoul
#145016 picked up a new paperweight today!
Jan at speed industries ordered it for me right after i put the turbo kit on the car... wish i had gotten a chance to try it out before i took it back to N/A
ah well
By the ghoul
#145150 trimmed her out a little better and painted all the flat black semi gloss black (except for the tail panel that still looks great flat black

By the ghoul
#147605 well, i had nothing going on yesterday and today there was a bbq hosted by another local car forum... There were going to be a few guys there that are interested in buying the delsol so i wanted to get some of the little stuff knocked out...
it turned into an all nighter.
worked on the car from 12:15pm yesterday to 8:15 this morning
I started off sorting out the suspension, fixing the sway bar end links that were busted, un-installing the coil-over front strut, and carefully cutting the stock springs that were installed on the car *remember i had an issue with the nuts on the rear struts being locked and couldn’t take them apart without destroying them*
after that was set i did a little last minute body work and started prepping the hood, fenders doors, and rear 1/4 panels for paint, also the door jambs and trunk.
I also gutted every thing from inside except the dash, steering column and upper rear trim bits.
I got the color shot on every thing and about 1am was sitting in the basement scrubbing all the interior plastics, treating the seats with stain remover, and cleaning the hell out of the carpet...
than it was just a matter of re-installing every thing...
here are the pics of the work in progress and results... i am very pleased with how every thing turned out.
Before
In progress
Hitting a new low
Nasties I found after pulling the seats out
Gutted intirror
The fresh paint
Todays after pictures
didn’t have time to do any thing with the trunk panels before the re-install… they need cleaning bad