Post YOUR Coupe here
By CopyLifted
#349739 And this is why i don't trust other peoples work lol. Hard to tell if it is actually the problem, but by looking at it i can't see how this couldn't be atleast part of it haha. I have no idea why he sprayed it with that copper sealer when it already has a bonding material on it.

By CopyLifted
#349778 New arp head studs and oem head gasket are on the way. Going to drop the head off at the machine shop today or tomorrow to have it checked.
By jefferydclark
#349779 I use copper spray on every head gasket I do and never have problems with it. it just fills any imperfections in the mating surfaces. but I also did it because I boosted a d15b vtec with stock head bolts LOL. it worked awesome but I have no proof that it wouldn't have been fine without it.
By CopyLifted
jefferydclark wrote:I use copper spray on every head gasket I do and never have problems with it. it just fills any imperfections in the mating surfaces. but I also did it because I boosted a d15b vtec with stock head bolts LOL. it worked awesome but I have no proof that it wouldn't have been fine without it.

I used to use it as well. This looks a little excessive though. I also can't really find signs that it was leaking to be honest though. I suspect it may not have been torqued to spec. Head bolts didn't "seem" all that tight wgen taking it off. We'll see though. It was atleast a good excuse to install arp head studs lol.
By brandoff88
#349791 man that does seem a little excessive, but good to hear your having everything checked and using arp hardware, can never be too safe especially with a new (to you) motor, after seeing what you have done so far id would hate to see it all blow up
By CopyLifted
brandoff88 wrote:man that does seem a little excessive, but good to hear your having everything checked and using arp hardware, can never be too safe especially with a new (to you) motor, after seeing what you have done so far id would hate to see it all blow up

Yeah, thanks man! Maybe $1000 wasn't such a great deal lol. Nah, I could part it out and get a lot more than that.

from looking at the pistons, it looks like it is running real rich too.
By CopyLifted
#349890 I guess I could update lol.

I got the head back from the machine shop and everything checked out fine. They shaved it .005" as well.

I got my ARP head studs and OEM gasket, but the head studs didn't come with the ARP lube, so I'm on hold until hopefully tomorrow. The machine shop that I took the head to should have some.

My reasoning for waiting for the ARP lube is, they recommend it lol, and there are different torque specs for different lubes as it isn't all the same. So, I'll just get the ARP lube and torque it per their instruction sheet in the box.

I am also going to replace the front crank seal and that won't be here until Tuesday.

Today would have been the perfect day to get the head on too. it was cool, but sunny. Hopefully I can get this done this week.

By 1slowej
#349896 just read your build. man I hope you figure out whats giving you the problems. I plan on going k this coming up summer. picked up a k20 for 350 just a start as of now lol.
By CopyLifted
1slowej wrote:just read your build. man I hope you figure out whats giving you the problems. I plan on going k this coming up summer. picked up a k20 for 350 just a start as of now lol.

Thanks for reading up on it. :thumb: I sure hope it was the head gasket causing the problems! If not, this is going to suck. i should have been done!

If you got a k20a2 or k20z3, screaming deal! From the short blast i got to drive mine, it's a MUST do swap lol.

Well, she is becoming whole once again....... :D

By CopyLifted
#350035 Finally had a day with no rain! I was able to finish up the head gasket today. The fan now kicks on and off like it should and it has not overheated! I am still getting some air bubbles when I rev it though. So, I don't know. I drove it HARD for about 10 miles and I had no issues.

Crossing fingers.
By CopyLifted
#350057 Got home from work today and let it warm up until the fan came on and back off. Took it for another HARD 5 mile or so drive and it ran great! It did not overheat! lol :D

I'm not brave enough to drive it to work yet, but this weekend I plan on driving it more just to make sure all is finally good.

I still have some clean up to do. After putting it back together I just kind of "slapped" it back together just to get it running again lol.

:hehe:

By CopyLifted
#350224 I've driven it about 600 miles now with no issues!

This thing is too much fun! I'm going to get in trouble lol.
By CopyLifted
#350230 Picked up a new (to me) front bumper today. I can finally replace the hacked one that's on it.

By CopyLifted
#350243 Much better!

By CopyLifted
#350386 Driven it about 1100 miles now with no issues. I'm also averaging 27-28 mpg!