Turbo and Supercharger discussion
By 92dxeg
#346414 has any1 had any luck with kraftwerks sc set up on a b series i was thinking about rebuild a gsr motor for one ? pros and cons lmk ppl
By HeikDiesel
#346425 There's people making in the high 300's on it. Much better output than the older vortech/jrsc setups. Then again the jrsc was a roots so kinda apples to oranges when you compare them that way. Cool kit, but you fabricate all your own I/C and piping. There is also no way to run power steering or a/c since the supercharger mounts to the old a/c bracket position on the block. I would say that is the biggest downfall when comparing to a turbo besides the actual obvious differences in the setups.
By 92dxeg
#346438 well i have a dx and i do not have ac or ps but i am seeing that ppl are starting to get high 300 with a b series and i kinda like that i mean if i do it its not going to be on a stock motor its going to be on a forge internal setup maybe pro1 cams aswell i was just wonduring if any1 has tryed it on this forum
By blk92hb
#346474 I say get it and be the first to show it off. from what ive seen they are better than turbo
By HeikDiesel
blk92hb wrote:I say get it and be the first to show it off. from what ive seen they are better than turbo

Care to elaborate on how you came to that conclusion?
By blk92hb
#346487 From what I've heard with the kraftworks sc you are getting power through the whole power band and not like a turbo when it hits peak boost. but like i said it was what i heard so dont quote me 100%
By HeikDiesel
#346488 While this is true it's still a centrifugal supercharger and torque is still fairly peaky like a turbocharger setup. Now compare that to a roots like my setup it makes 200 lb/ft of torque from 3k and carries it all the way out to 8k RPMS.

I still do not feel that this is better than a turbocharger setup for many reason. Main reason for this is belt slip which is always an issue. It may be better with the Kraftwerks since they run a serpentine belt instead of a cog v-belt but I would still see that to be an issue at high boost.
Also you have no choice in the matter for running a/c and power steering with this kit

For a strict road race car that needs a fatter lower power band I think this is the best option but for 95% of the population turbo is far cheaper/efficient/better-bang-for-the buck option. Just my .02