Turbo and Supercharger discussion
By Virux
#344084 Is it possible to safely disable boost? I read this, http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=170181 but I'm still a little confused. After looking at diagrams of waste gates.. they seem a little small to dump the exhaust effectively?

I'm thinking of a large valve that bypasses the turbo altogether and merges with the downpipe entirely, but I'm probably crazy.
By nobrains
#344104 take spring out of wastegate
By Virux
#344111 Can you take the spring out of an internal wastegate?
Will that make no boost at all or just low boost? Thanks
By Uknterror
#344119 Two things, why do you need to "disable" boost? Second you can prevent boost from happening by either disconnecting a charge pipe or unhooking the vacuum for the wastegate.
By Virux
#344122 I'd like to run a small turbo on a B7 next year, but depending on the gas mileage I get with that I'd like the option to disable boost and switch to an N/A tune for road trips, or if I was having any mechanical problems I could disable boost to prevent worsening the problem, things like that. I might even want to only enable boost for track days depending on how easy it is to switch back and forth. I think it would add an interesting dynamic to a daily driver and wanted to know more.
By Uknterror
#344130 Yea its not that simple, can't just undo something and run n/a then be on boost. Got to have a tune for it and its only going to run one way. Some cars once tuned on boost won't run at all with it "disabled", even if your car runs/drives without boost on a turbo tune you wouldnt be able to take it past 4k rpm anyway.
By nobrains
#344131 Lol just stay out of boost haha easier said than done
By Virux
#344134 There are dual tune setups, just flip a switch and off you go. Or I could just swap the OEM ECU back in.

And you can't stay out of boost when a 14b or smaller is spooling at 1500rpm.. lol. I wouldn't be worried about it if I had a larger turbo, which I might still end up doing. I'm just entertaining the idea.
By Uknterror
#344146 Idk about it, I'd consult whoever is tuning your car. If they say you're good to go on the idea then go for it. I understand what you're saying but it don't make sense to me atleast. From what I've seen gas mileage on a proper tuned setup on a small turbo still should see around 30mpg if you dont lay into it