Turbo and Supercharger discussion
By rustyrex
#335981 I've decided finally that my mildly built d16a6 swapped 95 civic cx needs more power. A guy local to me has a jrsc kit with absolutely everything even the gauges that came with it new. He wants $850 I already know its a killer deal especially since its all there. The only catch is I discovered the supercharger has a crack in it. Which isn't a deal breaker, its aluminum and I can get someone to weld it and refinish it. I am wondering if their are any other kits out there or other supercharger options for me. I put a deposit down on his kit already but he is holding onto the actual blower until its paid off.
By JUICE
#335982 Kraftwerks is making some badass kits for B's, K's, etc. but not D's that I know of. Where on it and how bad is the crack?
By rustyrex
#335983 Actually Kraftworks does have a kit for the d. I found them just before I made this post. The crack is by the mounting flang and there's a chunk right by it. I think he dropped it or had a bad mount and it hit the fire wall. My buddy said it can be fixed just like New. He's been a union welder for years.
By TrailerTrash
#335985 dam thats one hell of a deal for everything. asuming it actually has everything including the manual, boost controller, and the little intercooler thingy

EDIT: just checked out the Kraftworks D series setup. i wanna see this installed and see some vids! someone should buy it. its a bit pricey but if im not mistaken the original JRSC kits for D's were somewhere close to $5k.

and these arent huge heat sinks either :lol:
By rustyrex
#335986 Yea this kit is 100% complete. The only thing holding me back from the kworks kit is I would prefer a blower like the Jr kit. I want the supercharger whine lol.
By TrailerTrash
#335987 if the price doesnt scare you get the Kraftworks kit dude! but also buy the JR kit cause thats a freakin steal and a half
By nd1983
#335991 wouldn't a turbo charger have a SC type whine? as its being belt driven like the SC.

aswell just a question about the KraftWerks. it doesn't say if it will work with the D15b7, i'm assuming it would but isn't recommended? is that correct?
Last edited by nd1983 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By rustyrex
#335992 Since when are turbos driven by the belt?
By HeikDiesel
#335993 They are fun. $850 isn't truly a steal especially if it needs some metal work. I paid a lot more than that for my kit, but it also has a lot more done to it. Been awhile since I looked at them but I would look around more if you really want one.

Just keep a few things in mind when going S/C
1) Parts are a PITA to find
2) Belt slip sucks and there are people using belt drive systems, but for your setup it may be impratical.
3)JRSC=high intake air temps. Even intercooled I pull 180*+ IAT's when making mountain pulls.
4)At the end of the day it's your car and you should do what you want. Just wanted to point out my headaches with the kit.
By nd1983
rustyrex wrote:Since when are turbos driven by the belt?

its a turbo charger, which is the love child of a turbo and SC
By rustyrex
#335999 A supercharger is completely different.
By JUICE
nd1983 wrote:

"Turbocharger" is a mad tight Chinese brand.. You're thinking of a procharger. :lol:
By TrailerTrash
JUICE wrote:
nd1983 wrote:

"Turbocharger" is a mad tight Chinese brand.. You're thinking of a procharger. :lol:

:lol:

Heik is very right about parts being hard to find. I bought a charger and boost controller from a guy who only had those parts and i looked for over a year trying to find the alternator bracket and the pulley setup but only ever found the belts or people selling the entire kit for $1200-1500. never seen a complete kit for sale for under a grand.

im still saying 850 is a steal you could probaably flip it on ebay for 1200 at least
By nd1983
JUICE wrote:
nd1983 wrote:

ok, now i know. i was alwasy told it was a turbocharger, which to me made sence... i'm more of a SC guy myself.