Turbo and Supercharger discussion
By xhardlinerx
#322480 This is the direct link for the superchager for sale -
http://www.magnumpowers.com/Honda_B.php

Im going to call the place tomorrow to ask questions like:

-What else would I need? ( Type of intercooler, Type of intercooler tubing, best fuel injectors suitable) and any other parts needed.
-Does this work with A/C and P/S?

Does anyone know if the Magnum Powers Supercharger is reliable like the Jackson Racing Supercharger?

If I dont buy the Magnum Powers supercharger for $ 2,500, then there is this person selling a Jackson Racing Supercharger kit in my town that is still on his car for $1300.

I read from a post that a guy melted his pistons and rods even with a Jackson racing supercharger.

Here is a 56 page thread about the Magnum Powers Supercharger -
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1997913

I was going to go the turbo way, but I didnt want to spend $4,000 in a civic on a custom quality turbo kit for a daily driver with a stock motor. ( I talked to a honda shop who specializes in installing turbos and he quoted me that price)

I don't think a Port and Polish will bring near the power gains a supercharger would.
By chrono404
#322481 If your running a stock B Series I wouldn't run more then 300hp. Supercharger instant torque is awesome.

You will want intercooler, piping, and a darn good tune. You will probally want new injectors however I am not sure if you need them at only 300hp.

Looking at the picture in the HT Thread you will loose both A/C and P/S. however if your wanting a road course track day car then this will be a good setup for that. If you want some 1320 drag racing action you will be better off with a turbo setup.

Melting pistons means the car is running lean, A Good tune will make sure the car is not running lean. This doesn't mean buy some chip off ebay, go to a reputable local tuning shop and have them chip and tune your ecu for this setup.

BTW there are many ways to bulid awesome turbo setup's for way under $4000. a little search will show you many ways to do so. Looking at our competition at times for inspriation can be handy. Looking at DSM forums gave me the idea for what turbo is replacing my stock WRX Turbo.
By xhardlinerx
#322506 $4,000 was for a quality custom built turbo kit that would last for a long time, this included everypart like installation, hondata, tuning, and a custom built intake manifold for a/c & powersteering.

I need to research what parts other people chose for there DIY turbo kit and how much was the total.
By xhardlinerx
#322509 I talked to a guy who has a JRSC on his car. I think im going to buy it from him for $1,000.

A guy at a turbo honda shop said he can install it for $400.

Can any of you recommend what else I would need to do?
By HeikDiesel
xhardlinerx wrote:I talked to a guy who has a JRSC on his car. I think im going to buy it from him for $1,000.

A guy at a turbo honda shop said he can install it for $400.

Can any of you recommend what else I would need to do?

Depends on what boost/fuel you are going to run. Also the stock Jackson FMU is junk. Get something you have the ability to tune
By bks84
#323388 did I read that right, it requires a fluidampr or similar crank pulley?
By HeikDiesel
bks84 wrote:did I read that right, it requires a fluidampr or similar crank pulley?

I think they do that because Fluidampr makes a crankshaft pulley even bigger than the CRV
By HagerSol
#324873 Let's say you buy the Jackson kit for $1200...by the time it's installed and tuned I bet you'll be close to $3500 anyway... The shop is prolly only spending $1500 on turbo parts and the rest is install, tune, and profit. And chances are that Jackson kit doesn't come with fuel pump, injectors, hoses etc etc so $1200 may not be a realistic parts cost anyhoo. Both S/C and turbo can be fast and reliable, I will say there's prolly way more support for boosted motors tho, and obviously waaay more parts. Before discounting inexpensive boost build read Juice's build thread. :-) happy forced induction!!

http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=114 ... 9cc9f74056
By HeikDiesel
#324875 $2300 in additional parts? No way. Even if I figure my custom header/exhaust, injectors, crankshaft pulley, fuel pump, and EMS/Tuning I don't have that much on top of the cost of the supercharger