Turbo and Supercharger discussion
By 92dxeg
#319663 my friend told me when u boost a h22 u dont need sleeve just change the pistons and rods . he also said that the pistons and rods are the weakest point when u boost a h series
By TrailerTrash
#319666 depends how much boost
By chrono404
#319685 It doesn't depend on boost, as 14psi on a small turbo wont make the same power that 7 psi does on a bigger turbo. Some honda parts are known to fail after certain power levels. i.e. that Honda D Series Rods stop being relaible over 200whp, Some say 250hp, most agree on 200whp.

The Pistons and Rods are the weekest link, However the sleeves are not as strong as Iron sleeves in the F Series engines. F series sleeves are supposedly good upto 600hp.

The best inexpensive DOHC VTEC turbo build would be a F22 or F23 bottom end. put in H22 Water pump, oil pump and timing belt, Forged Rods and pistons and be good upto 600hp.

You will be better off with a F22 non-vtec with a big cam then an H22. The F22 non-vtec head is the best flowing head honda has ever made, No K Series, no H Series, No J Series engine flows as good. Not even the S2000 F20C or the NSX's engine.
By 92dxeg
#319710 why is that head the best flowing? and the f22 sohc did that haver come in dohc ? my question is really how much power could stock h22 sleeves hold with fordge rods and pistons. would it be better to boost a b series with stock sleeves ? of the two witch is the better to boost wit stock sleeves?
By JUICE
#319712 Some of the H series have sleeves mad of some fiber reinforced metal or some shit, which are extremely weak.
By Uknterror
#319720 H series stock cylinder walls are lined with something called FRM, pretty much means if you take it to get honed or bored over the machine shop must use the proper equipment or else it screws it all up. Seen stock block h22 make over 300 whp with the right tuner and last a good bit. There is more too it than that but thats another matter.

Chorno I'd have to disagree on the non-v sohc F series head being the absolute best flowing head Honda has to offer. The s2000 and k series head (depending on which one) are the two best flowing heads stock for stock. It is true that the non-v series head flows better than the vtec version but thats stock vs stock.

To answer your question "92dxeg" No you dont have to sleeve the block, it depends on how much power your trying to make. Yes getting forged pistons and rods is a good option for a boost build and thats on any motor.
By chrono404
Uknterror wrote:Chorno I'd have to disagree on the non-v sohc F series head being the absolute best flowing head Honda has to offer. The s2000 and k series head (depending on which one) are the two best flowing heads stock for stock. It is true that the non-v series head flows better than the vtec version but thats stock vs stock.

According to Bisimoto, One of the best tuners and fabricators for hondas. The F22 non-vtec head is honda best flowing head. I remember seeing him post that the F22 head flowed better then the K20 and F20c heads. I tried to find the post to link to however his forums down for maintence at time of this post.

When he chose to make a company drag car he built a Non-Vtec F22 for the reason above, They put down a 9.8 and Second 1/4 miles time, Naturally Asperated. There are plenty of Turbo sub 10 second 1/4 miles times, but i cant think of many other n/a sub 10 second hondas.

http://www.tunerzine.com/view-article/b ... or-insight

Video link of 9.7 second 1/4 mile at 144.53 mph.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPFsYoe6Ujg

This is starting to get off topic but I wanted to make clear up any misinforation for future users searching this topic.
By Uknterror
#319726 I know about about bisi, esp because I'm currently building a sohc f series myself. I dont know where he got his numbers from but if you look at the cfm's ratings on the heads you will see which flows best and if i recall correctly that was the s2000 f22 in the ap2's.....If i could only find the link :?

Quite a few n/a motors are in the 9's, all of which were dohc ofc (no love for sohc at the time :() oddly enough mostly from PR. But hey if I'm wrong I'm wrong, I'm here to learn haha

To OP sorry for getting off topic. Last one from me.