Turbo and Supercharger discussion
By kylenjdm93
#324987 ^ I feel that I do, the weakest link in your ls is your main caps. part of the reason minus the oil squriter issue in a ls/vtec for not revving so high is due to the weak main cap setup.

you can machine the oil squirters in a ls block if need be, if your running stock internals I would. it helps keep the cylinder walls lubed and cooled, of course your going to need a better oil pump than the ls...

the lack of a girdle is just as a weak link as the stock rods are, ive put eagle rods on stock b16 pistons on a ls vtec with the erl girdle and boosted it at 20psi for fun, lasting a long time.. I was actually trying to blow it up so I had an excuse to justify spending the bux on sleeves and forged pistons.

damn thing never blew, i never took it quite to redline but hearing vtec was worth the while...

if were talking drag, why not run a b20/vtec with erl girdle and run only nitrous? f gas at that point. there is a guy on Honda-tech with proof he has that setup was doing 9's till his shit broke due to shit tune....
By JUICE
#324989 "a guy", as in one.. no thanks. I had enough fun putting together a "unique" setup with my last one.

My new motor is 84mm though. Gonna throw on a 6162 and give it hell.
By kylenjdm93
#324994 actually the main caps and the rods for an ls, the gsr have a little more meat on them but non the less, if your rebuilding and want reliability you need to invest in forged pistons cp's are fantastic, easy to install and hardly fai, eagle h beam rods are great for forced induction on all levels, as well as n/a,

as a machinest, I recommend sleeving a block and adding forged internals before attempting high boost levels for a drag car

a street car you want to mob around in and have fun, or a dd, I recommend using a sleeve saver and forged internals as well as the girdle from ERL, as it utilizes all 5 caps instead of golden eagles 3 caps like the b16 and gsr.

if you have an incredibly good tuner, using brand name parts with your turbo set up, and the correct sized charge piping you can achieve great numbers while maintaining stock internals.

this of course relys on your and your tuners knowledge of the Honda engine, meaning you use the right sized turbo for your numbers many people use a t3/t4 turbo and its a friggin waste of space and money, you can get great numbers using a t28, t3 turbo instead of the hybrid t3/t4, trim size also comes into effect, never use a twin scroll unless wanting 600+ hp in my opinion.

big turbo = lots of lag time
tiny turbo = way less lag time
medium turbo = just enough time to have traction before you boost.

again these are my personal opinions