Turbo and Supercharger discussion
By JUICE
HeikDiesel wrote:http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1478127

Stock block, not sure about head since most don't list it.

You can get a dyno to put out whatever fairy tale numbers you want. very few of those have a time slip, which is the only real way to gauge power. and I assure you, any stock b series block making over 400whp is on borrowed time.
By HeikDiesel
#321456 Post proof and get attacked lol. I love this site

I never said 600whp on a stock B series was smart, reliable, cost effective, etc. I merely said people are making 600+, so 300 is a cake walk. Hell I almost make 300 on my stock b16 with a flamethrower behind it.
By HeikDiesel
#321461 Well OP asked for HP ratings, not if he could hit 10's on a stock engine
By HagerSol
#324874 Juice is the man, once you read his build thread you'll see he's not blowing smoke, always solid, respectful advice. I think he recognizes that most ppl ask about hp cuz they wanna be fast not wave dyno sheets around from the slow lane ;-)
By kylenjdm93
brandoff88 wrote:i wish we had e 85 ethanol :eh:

go to sunnyside or Yakima bro.

I get mine from the local sheriffs office. lmfao
By kylenjdm93
JUICE wrote:^ not with a B Series..

the thing is.....

Honda tuning did an article years ago you can look it up on google it was a 2 part series, they took a bone stock jdm b16a boosted the shit out of it, and they did make over 600whp... unitl the rod gave out obviously but they were able to do more than 10 dyno pulls before there was oil all over the floor...

so technically you can make tons of power on a stock block but your bolt on's must be good quality brand name sh*t not ebay garbage...

REALISTICALLY, you need a built block to achieve 600whp safely. forged pistons, rods, and of course a sleeved block. might as well take the extra steps and have your machinest bore out the oil galleys a little better and purchase a better than average oil pump as well

but what do I know im just a dude who worked on building high hp Honda engines at a Portland machine shop for 2 years before starting my own business building engines.....

every body in the Honda game has a theory and opinion but until you spend the money and actually try these things out on your own you will always be a coulda shoulda woulda type of Honda owner.

I say anything is possible with the right tuner who knows his stuff....
By JUICE
#324956 The thing is..

OP asked if 300 would be reliable on a bone stock GSR.. Not what's the highest hp possible out of one..

So ok yea, there are a handful of "stock" b series out there making huge power, non of which that I would consider reliable by any means. And I realize you guys understand that, but my whole point was it had nothing to do with what OP was asking for..

And just for fun, when I get on the dyno this spring, I'll have my tuner (Dave Blundell who's one of the reasons Hondas are where they are today) set the dyno to put out some crazy fairy tale numbers in the 4 digits and we'll print out the sheet. Don't ask for it to be backed up by a 6 second time slip though! Then hopefully we'll go back to real life and make 550ish with my built/sleeved LS/Vtec and I'll gladly try and back that up with some 10 second 1320 passes.
By HeikDiesel
#324966 Just do a second gear pull. That should suffice :roll:
By kylenjdm93
#324971 I'm on my cell right now, ill have a witty smartass reply when I get home to my laptop... Lol :thumb:
By HeikDiesel
#324977 Image
By kylenjdm93
#324983 alright. finally on the lappy

if you want to reach better power numbers on a decent built ls, b20, ls/vtec, b20/vtec you still have 1 major problem..

the crank caps.

they are garbage

you can purchase the golden eagle kit for 350 or cheaper if you shop around. or get a gsr or b16 one and have a machinest tool it to your crank and block specs...

heres the golden eagle one..

BUT....

the ERL 5 main girdle is the best bang for the buck

Nissan sr20 engines are built the same way as the ERL, and they can take a beating with forged rods/pistons...

lets look at the K... spit deck girdle combo?? what?? yep. fantastic design. too bad Honda didn't think of this when designing the b

anyway were way off topic now..

6 out of 10 people will have a lot of problems with a turbo set up. the 6 out of the 10 people are not smart because they did not carfully piece every thing together or take time installing everything. I fix a lot of peoples screw ups you wouldn't believe the amount of people who just throw a set of piston rings in without clocking them or filing them down to specs... :o

anyway, comment away JUICE... lol

if you think about it, you will agree with me on the crank problem.. 5 is better than 3 and 3 is better than 1.

price sucks ass... but sense of peace and mind is priceless..
By HeikDiesel
#324986 You really feel that the weakness of the main caps comes before a stock Honda cast piston in a forced induction application?