Turbo and Supercharger discussion
By xwhitchx
#315110 Let me start off by saying I'm sorry for posting then on here, but I have got the most help from this forum then any other and every nissan forum I have been to has not really helped me at all.

I have been working on turboing a 240sx KA sohc. The engine is in great shape and everything on it is new =). I had a T04 turbo laying around for some time so I started to turbo the car. I go it all together, with no tune right now. But Im having some problems with it just driving normal under little to No boost (4psi). My T04 turbo had a internal wastegate, that I had to get a flange to block it off so the turbo could make boost. Well with out this on the car starts, runs, idles and drives just fine =) . But there is no point in having a turbo if your not making boost so when I put this flange on, the car start, and idle fine at first. But after normal driving, or a little boost (4psi) the car will want to die when I let it go back to idle, and this Is my problem. Also the car seems to be way too rich, kuz when its trying to die on me it has black smoke coming out a little. I also get back fires when I'm shifting.

And help will be nice, and again I know this is for civics only but you guys have helped with my civic so much and I know you guys a helpful, kool and nice, so I'm giving it a shot.
By Classiccarsrule85
#315119 Im assuming you have a external wastegate, and and blow off valve? and possibly an adjustable boost controller possibly might help....

a td-04 really to me being a volvo junkie is rather the standard oem low pressure turbo you get on the volvo turbos pre 95 rwd.....they also make block off plates for that as well.

im not too sure on the td turbos...but sounds like a vacuum issue possibly, but in all seriousness even the volvo guys pretty well toss this turbo to put in a garret easier to work with...and more info...

also make sure all your components are set to the correct amount of boost your turbo can handle. Just a few suggestions to look for but those are low pressure turbos and youd be better off with a garett turbo
By xwhitchx
Classiccarsrule85 wrote:Im assuming you have a external wastegate, and and blow off valve? and possibly an adjustable boost controller possibly might help....

a td-04 really to me being a volvo junkie is rather the standard oem low pressure turbo you get on the volvo turbos pre 95 rwd.....they also make block off plates for that as well.

im not too sure on the td turbos...but sounds like a vacuum issue possibly, but in all seriousness even the volvo guys pretty well toss this turbo to put in a garret easier to work with...and more info...

also make sure all your components are set to the correct amount of boost your turbo can handle. Just a few suggestions to look for but those are low pressure turbos and youd be better off with a garett turbo

Thank for the input, I have a Airesearch turbo. It looked like my timing was way off, I moved it and its going way better, still only boosting to 4PSI but its better then befor, and no more dieing and no more back fires. now I just got to make some Heat shelds for it. and tuning
By Classiccarsrule85
#315123 well that would definitely do it lol...and yea those turbos are not power boost turbos i could maybe part with my t3 project i mean its gonna need a rebuild kit and its torn down some already but yea its for sale by word right now no postings....and about the heat shielding id just go ahead and buy yourself some aluminum and tin snips and bend and make your own fairly simple id say...
By xwhitchx
#315135 Can i get a picture of the turbo. And i will try to get a picture of my set up on here when i get home
By bsnizzle
#315171 you might want to check into positioning the MAF sensor a lil further away and use the same diameter plumbing as the stock did, but also like on my brothers ka24de we are getting ready to boost he is going to either a 300zx MAF sensor or a ford lightning, cause if you force boost in and you dont have enough fuel it might cause things to hiccup even with just a minimal amout of boost cause ya gotta think, for every square inch on that tubbing its 4 pounds of pressure, wich is way more than what that engine pulled in naturaly.

I dont know alot on em but i'd say this might be helpful somewhat!
:thumb:
By xwhitchx
#315182 Yeah I need to fine some piping for movie the maf lol, and Im only going for 200whp I think my maf can go to over 230hp. I also need to move the pvc line to after the maf. I got have the car running a lot better after changing timing.
By bigpunn421
Classiccarsrule85 wrote:Im assuming you have a external wastegate, and and blow off valve? and possibly an adjustable boost controller possibly might help....

saab and 3000gt guys love the td04 and td05 turbos. the stock td04hl-15t 6cm off a saab is a great torque monster. if you put a ported 7cm housing and a 19t compressor wheel with a bigger turbine you will have a better flowing turbo than a gt3071r.

its prooven on saab fourms people make over 350whp 420ftlbs on a b234r with the uk 19t setups about 30psi. spools alot faster than the 3071 even with the .64a/r. the .86a/r will make more top end but doesnt spool as quick
By xwhitchx
#315218 Yeah my turbo has 0 lag right now so that kool :)