Turbo and Supercharger discussion
By couch_c
#314854 Wondering if there is a way around this, having a turbo without a carb legal sticker will not get you to pass smog legally, i even heard w/carb number it's difficult to pass. How do I get around this?
By familyEGuy23
#314856 something tells me your from Cali :lol:
only few ways "around" it
1. know the right people
2. be good friends with ben franky :hehe:

catch my drift? ... :)
By couch_c
#314860 haha yeah our crazy smog laws, they even have smog check points here.
I was actually thinking (since I'm going low psi) keep my stock injectors, stock fuel pump, stock everything but the turbo, keep a spare ecu that way when it's time for smog i can just remove everything and throw back on the old ecu, but i wonder if that'll work.
By nd1983
#314883 just an idea, but why not run dual program on the ecu. run your boost level whenever then when you are going for smog check, run 0psi and a lightly lean tune, but no too lean to cause damage, so you should pass.
By d-mon
#314955 with a REALLY good tune and carb stickers, its possible.
not making boost at 15 or 25mph.
most tunes are way to rich however.
By slowj1
#315007 No Carb sticker = no pass unless of course you know somebody, as said earlier.
By JohnRM
#315008 I've researched awhile on how to go about having a turbo even WITH carb stickers in California...my conclusion is, find someone that will do it
By couch_c
#315009 lean tune? as in tune again? I think it'd be much easier to exchange it for an unchipped stock ecu, and drive it to the smog station?
By nd1983
couch_c wrote:lean tune? as in tune again? I think it'd be much easier to exchange it for an unchipped stock ecu, and drive it to the smog station?

i'm was assuming you are running decent boost and larger injectors. if not then an open wastegate and stop ECU works.

or like a said a boost tune and a stock tune on a chipped ECU
By bigpunn421
#315216 removing everything and putting it back to stock is the best way to pass. but it can become a pain. works everytime tho

the inspector might check under the hood and most will not pass cars with any mods. unless you know someone like mentioned before. so the dual tune might not be the best
By couch_c
bigpunn421 wrote:removing everything and putting it back to stock is the best way to pass. but it can become a pain. works everytime tho

the inspector might check under the hood and most will not pass cars with any mods. unless you know someone like mentioned before. so the dual tune might not be the best

exactly what i was saying, so I'm guessing my idea will probably work, I just want a little more torque, not trying to upgrade fuel injectors or do any engine mods, just low psi, that way I can keep my stock parts and when smog time comes, remove the turbo and put back the exhaust and throw back on the original ecu