Turbo and Supercharger discussion
By rodney120985
#293587 I was wanting to know how to find out what kinda turbo is on a parts car I have come across. I have looked at it and there are no identification plates that I can see with it bolted in. I was told by the guy I bought it from that it might be an eBay turbo. :?

I am trying to figure out if I need to just buy a new tubro or try to see if the current one is worth the time and money to rebuild.
By rodney120985
#293791 Ok that is what I thought. Thanks for the input. So from the picture does it look like a good enough one to try to just put on or should I just get a new greddy or somebody like that?
By rodney120985
#293817 Ok thanks for the input that was what I was thinking would be a better to just get a brand new turbo. Not really worried bout the $$ issue it will be aways down the road before it gets put all on and in the car. Goin to rebuild the motor first to a lower compression setup
By bigpunn421
#293976 dont lower compression. i would rebuild to stock spec with arp rod bolts and head bolts. or better yet buy a jdm block for $400-500 shipped

low compression isnt needed to turbo a car. thats a wifes tail myth.

you car will have more power through entire rpm range with more compression if you plan on using that turbo. once you go bigger numbers its harder to tune on pump gas with high compression. but that ebay turboz is limited. ive seen people push the ebay turbo but it isnt reliable.

emusa is best knock off turbo and they suck compared to oem quality turbos.

even kia doesnt use ebay turbos
By rodney120985
#294006 So let me get this right lower compression motors arent better than high compression when you turbo? I am just looking to make anywhere from 250-300 hp. From what I have read people say to use the vitara(SP?) pistons to drop the compression.

Now remember this I dont know S**T bout boosted motors but from everything I have looked at say to lower the compression to get a good turbo motor. If I am going to put the money into the motor to build it I am goin to try to do it right the first time around!
By bigpunn421
rodney120985 wrote:So let me get this right lower compression motors arent better than high compression when you turbo? I am just looking to make anywhere from 250-300 hp. From what I have read people say to use the vitara(SP?) pistons to drop the compression.

Now remember this I dont know S**T bout boosted motors but from everything I have looked at say to lower the compression to get a good turbo motor. If I am going to put the money into the motor to build it I am goin to try to do it right the first time around!

what do you mean by better? if your talking hp no way. usually people use lower compression because they are limited to crappy pump gas. but nowadays we have water/meth and e85. but 93 pump is enough. a stock d is what 9to1? thats alredy low imo.

for 250whp its a waste of money and time to build the motor. i mean of course a built motor is stronger than a oem one but your not pushing the limits to oem d. thats doing work that doesnt need to be done imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ZzqBPz4sY this guy made over 400whp stock motor. it didnt last but it lasted long enough. he even replaced it with another stock one.

plus for the price of a built motor you can buy another long block and swap it in if something goes wrong with motor you have. keep it as a spare.

for me id rather have a nice turbo and a stock motor than a built motor and ebay turbo. tunes and fuel setup cost $$ to.

if your trying to do it right you have to read. spend money. use your time. and put in work.

pistons arent the weak point in most honda motors. plus a vitara piston isnt forged, its cast...ive seen people use the suzuki pistons and get lower than 7to1 compression. try spooling a turbo with that setup.

i would reccomend a 200-250whp setup. thats plenty of power. you can find cheap reliable turbos in the range at a junk yard
By rodney120985
#294057 So what you are saying is basically rebuild the motor in a parts car I have that the eBay turbo came off of to OEM and the go from there.

I wasn't planning on using the turbo that is in the picture I was trying to make sure that it wasn't a nice name brand turbo before I trash it.

I know I have to do some more reading up on it, but I am looking to have a motor that I can boost and still drive as a dd and yes I already know peoples thoughts on that as well. I aint so sure at moment that I want to go as far a water/meth injection. Thanks for the input though
By bigpunn421
rodney120985 wrote:So what you are saying is basically rebuild the motor in a parts car I have that the eBay turbo came off of to OEM and the go from there.

I wasn't planning on using the turbo that is in the picture I was trying to make sure that it wasn't a nice name brand turbo before I trash it.

I know I have to do some more reading up on it, but I am looking to have a motor that I can boost and still drive as a dd and yes I already know peoples thoughts on that as well. I aint so sure at moment that I want to go as far a water/meth injection. Thanks for the input though

im saying boost the oem motor you already have, if it runs good. if not rebuild it to oem spec and boost it. i would change the head studs to aftermarket ARP thats it. building a 200whp motor isnt worth it imo. waste of $$$ that could be spent to better parts in build.

water/meth is the best thing known to man for regular pump gas setups youll learn this soon enough. but you dont need it. i was just throwing that out there. people lower their iat's, raise octane, and some even keep stock injectors when boosting with water/meth. the meth increases your fuel in cylinder just like bigger injectors would. water/meth is basicly windshield 70/30 blue washer fluid. or if you heard of heet thats 100% meth.

you can boost high compression motors, low compression etc. almost any motor can be turbod.

if you want reliable dd dont turbo your car. with the added stress your average wear and tear parts wear faster.

find a local tuner and contact him. he should be willing to help if he tunes the car.

you need the basics, legit motor nothing wrong with it (oem or forged), bigger injectors, fmic and plumbing, oil and coolant lines, exhaust mani, downpipe, tuning software, if you plan on 0-10psi your stock map is fine but if you want more boost get a bigger map sensor. you might need a fuel pump, if yours is old buy one if it was recently replaced it should flow enough for 250whp.

i know this is alot to take in at once. but fourms like these are packed with knowledge. search. thats the best word you can hear. anything you want to do to a honda has already been done to an extent and im sure someone posted it online somewhere.

i would suggest a jackson racing s/c kit but that might be hard to find. i paid $500 local for a jrsc kit awhile back. they are alot easier to install than a turbo imo. but they are rare and will not produce high whp like turbo could.

do you really need gobs of power in fwd? i wouldnt think so unelss you want a car thats only good from 70+mph. jrsc bolt on is good for 170whp on a d. and it uses a eaton m42 instant spooling s/c which makes it alot funner than a ebay turbo setup on low boost imo. ive driven both. the s/c feels quicker even with less peak whp.
By rodney120985
#294101 I have looked at JRSC but from everything I have read says they dont make them anymore. Would love to have a sc over a turbo just my thoughts.

Well I will look over the forum and see what I can find out bout boosting a stock built motor. Thanks for the help. :thumb: