Dash Seats, Steering Wheels etc... If it's inside your Civic then it's in here.
By eg-guy
#264406 ok so im rerapping my door panels, ive been to jo ann fabrics twice. The first fabric i bought was thin and the glue went through, the second fabric i bought was like pleather and it wouldnt really stretch.

whats the best fabric to use for door panels, or fabrics that have been used by other members? any help would be great.
By UpgrayeddEJ2
#264415 Tweed works well, I used a fake suede. It stretched ok, but it's not perfect. That's probably because it was my first time though.
By ImThaBean
#264466 Yeah, I used tweed. It had a little stretch, enough to cover the panel with no wrinkles. I've seen others used suede or Alcantara, but those are both pricier than the tweed.
By eg-guy
#264505 thanks guys im gettin some tweed
By kingjmack
scrape n pavement wrote:the second fabric i bought was like pleather and it wouldnt really stretch.

I used a vinyl fabric on mine.

The vinyl is not very forgiving unless it's heated up. some of the curved areas on the door panel, I used a heat gun to soften the fabric enough so it would bend and curve.
By eg-guy
#264586 ^^^^ thats almost the same fabric i got, i might try to heat it and see what happens. thanks for the tip.
By kingjmack
scrape n pavement wrote:^^^^ thats almost the same fabric i got, i might try to heat it and see what happens. thanks for the tip.

when you heat it, don't get the gun too close or it will dis-color the vinyl. I just waved it back and forth over it until it would start stretching. To get it to stick, I used some 3M upholstery adhesive on it. Sprayed both the panel and the back of the fabric, then let the glue dry for a couple minutes, then put the fabric on. That stuff is strong, so if you have to pull it back off, you will need to spray more glue on it.
By eg-guy
#264687 ^^ thanks that helps alot ^^