General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By ThisEarl
#118462 I have a '95 hatchback that is automatic, I dont know if you all know but gears are marked 1-2-3-D-N-R-P, assuming that you know what that means......
Is it hard on the transmission to manually shift to 4th by just simply sliding from 1 to 2 to 3 then to drive (D) at the appropriate times?

Thanks.
By chrono404
#118464 I believe the way the transmissions are designed, it needs to go through 2nd and 3rd before going into 4th. You might be able to have someone redo the Programing of your transmission. I dont know of anyone who can. If you could get it to do so, I think it would wear your transmission out faster. Honda Programed it to work the way it does for a reason.
By Sentry
#118521 Drive it like it's supposed to be driven or do a manual swap.
By smokinsoljah420
#118524 Hand over the keys. :P
By ThisEarl
Sentry wrote:Drive it like it's supposed to be driven or do a manual swap.

That doesnt answer the question at all......
By chrono404
#118529 For more Clarification, Honda automatics are not designed to skip gears.
i.e. if you held the car in 1st and got it up to redline and want to dump her into 3rd/4(or D) Its not good for the Transmission to manually skip those gears. If you get your Transmission Reprogrammed to do it, It would reduce transmission life. Thats assuming you can find someone who can reprogram Honda Transmissions.

However if you hold it in 1st and get close to redline and push it up to D and the Transmission shifts to 2nd, then to 3rd, then into D. That wont damage the Transmission. Thats how its designed to work.

After Re-Reading your first Post, I think will be most applicable.

If you wanna fake driving like a Stick, be it you get close to Red line in 1st, then bump it up a gear into second, and run it to Red again and bump it into 3rd, and then again into 4th. That does no damage to the Transmission. However you will have no Performance gain then if you left it in D. However I will attest that I have done this in my Auto LS Integra a time or two :lol:

Hope that clears stuff up, I am pretty sure I answered your Questions, If I missed something let me know.
By ThisEarl
chrono404 wrote:For more Clarification, Honda automatics are not designed to skip gears.
i.e. if you held the car in 1st and got it up to redline and want to dump her into 3rd/4(or D) Its not good for the Transmission to manually skip those gears. If you get your Transmission Reprogrammed to do it, It would reduce transmission life. Thats assuming you can find someone who can reprogram Honda Transmissions.

However if you hold it in 1st and get close to redline and push it up to D and the Transmission shifts to 2nd, then to 3rd, then into D. That wont damage the Transmission. Thats how its designed to work.

After Re-Reading your first Post, I think will be most applicable.

If you wanna fake driving like a Stick, be it you get close to Red line in 1st, then bump it up a gear into second, and run it to Red again and bump it into 3rd, and then again into 4th. That does no damage to the Transmission. However you will have no Performance gain then if you left it in D. However I will attest that I have done this in my Auto LS Integra a time or two :lol:

Hope that clears stuff up, I am pretty sure I answered your Questions, If I missed something let me know.

Dead on, thats what I wanted to know, I didnt mean jumping gears.

Thanks.