General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By sdots
#105859 Hey guys, I've already had a lot of feedback in regards to my 'floppy gearstick' however after trying most things it still isn't resolved.

I was wondering, do these tranny's have a spring connected to the gear selecting rod? and is this located on the outside, or does the whole box need to be stripped to access this part?

thank you in advance for any advice.

sanj
By ikon
#105898 yes there are two. one on each side of the rod and to access them u have to pull the casing off the bell housing and pull out the shafts and differential gear.
By sdots
ikon wrote:yes there are two. one on each side of the rod and to access them u have to pull the casing off the bell housing and pull out the shafts and differential gear.

Check these images out below, are the parts that I require, listed any where in any of the images and if so, which image and which number.
And would the whole box need to be rebuilt?

thanks again in advance for your help, it's much appreciated.

BOX 1

BOX 2

BOX 3

By ikon
#106209 in the second pic the rod labeled number 3 has a retaining spring in each side. I doubt that's ur problem cos they get tension in the interlock and the rod itself. But I doubt that's ur problem.
By sdots
#106220 So what is possibly my problem then?
By ikon
#106228 i was looking for the original post but couldnt find it so im not sure wht u mean by floppy gearstick. the two springs i referred to hold tension on the interlock piece and the rod itself. as far as causing any gearstik id say it is a problem with that gear. i kno its a bitch but check ur syncro rings and gears and ur 5th gear for any signs of wear that would require replacement. have u ever taken apart the shafts or any other components inside and maybe not put them in right?
By sdots
#106256 sorry dude, I think I have you misunderstood, I'll explain

The gearstick is what we call the gear shifter in the u.k lol
So there is no gear stick and the tranny is fine, goes into gear and everything else perfectly.
The issue concerns the gear shifter. If you imagine you have your hand on the shifter, if you move it left to right it will return back to it's neutral position.

With mine if you move it left it will stay to the left and not return to it's neutral position therefore being 'floppy.' I have checked the bushings on the stabilizer and gear linkage and that is absolutely fine, so it definitely concerns something internal of the tranny. Even if the tranny is in gear, it will still flop around.

hope that clears it up a little for you
By ikon
#106291 wow yes it does. the spring that preeses the interlock could b your problem. it makes sense that that would be your problem. check it out and let us kno.
By sdots
ikon wrote:wow yes it does. the spring that preeses the interlock could b your problem. it makes sense that that would be your problem. check it out and let us kno.

Awesome, thanks for your help :)