General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By LowTEC-Derbo
#49384 i have a gut feeling its something internal but.. I thought I throw it out there for others to think.

When I start up the car, no noise. When I remove my foot from the clutch pedal, i hear some clicking/chatter noise coming dominantly from the tranny side of the engine bay.

When I push in the clutch pedal, it will slowly dissapear the noise as if it is slowing down.

When I coming down to a stop sign, and still decelerating, press the clutch pedal in, and put the shifter into 1st gear, I can hear a whine from the transmission like if twas straight cut gears..

Input shaft bearing? Throwout BearinG? clutch spings came loose?

Also my clutch pedal when cold, if I press the pedal in, it would squeak but it could be a seperate issue as that happend for awhile.

I want to confirm what the noise is before I take off the tranny.
By asianrob
#49395 i didnt read the whole thing :lol: but might be the throw out bearing?
By LowTEC-Derbo
DC4rob wrote:i didnt read the whole thing :lol: but might be the throw out bearing?

if you don't read it, thejavascript:emoticon(':?')n your guess is as good as mine.
By asianrob
LowTEC-Derbo wrote:
DC4rob wrote:i didnt read the whole thing :lol: but might be the throw out bearing?

if you don't read it, thejavascript:emoticon(':?')n your guess is as good as mine.

i read the first half of it and it should it like the throw out bearing

can your describe the winding noise?
By LowTEC-Derbo
#49413 i thought..if you press on the clutch it would be throwout bearing..

and the whine is like straight cut gears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmJH84FnQa8

sorta like that but ALOT quieter and slower.
By asianrob
#49414 my bro's car did that but his trans was rebuilt with new parts...
By ohDirka
#49491 My new car does this too. I was just about to ask anyone if they knew what it was.
By ohDirka
#49493 Thats whats I keep saying too. The throw out bearing has like a whistle sound rather than a whine.
By chrono404
#49570 I think it is the Main Input bearing. When it starts to go out you hear it first gear and makes noises like in the video. When it gets worse you hear it in other gears as well. Thankfully its somewhat easy and cheap to repair.

We even have a DIY on how to fix it :thumb:

I am 99% Sure its the Main Input Bearing. However Since you will be taking the transmission off the car, It would be a good time as well to replace the Throw out bearing.
By LowTEC-Derbo
#49573 oh, I will..everyone is double confirming it is the input shaft bearing. I just wanted to be sure.

It really makes not much of a different now since I found a tranny to replace it with.

I found a z6 tranny locally rebuilt by a Honda technician for $150. New synchros, and bearings in it. I am going to pick it up and add an LSD into and buy a new 6puck spring clutch.

this old tranny will get an overhaul with new stuff. Debating if i want shorter gears since I am trapping pretty high mph now.
By iownahatchback
#58821 what kind of clutch and flywheel do you have? if your flywheel is too light it will chatter. normal. when you press the clutch pedal it goes away right? then probably your flywheel. we had people come in with act pro light or street light flywheel wondering what that noise is

if it was your throw out bearing one it really souldnt be touchinig the pressure plate at idel. and if it your throw oubt bearing it would make noise when you press the pedal

as for your whining noise its cuz your putting it back in to first. not good for syncrho. if your down shifting and having to use your first gear to slow your self down then its time to up grade brakes. if your doing cuz you race its time to learn heel toe, if not then rev match from what i know putting it back in to first with out rev match is bad

the squeak in the mornign is almost normal. there isnt enough lube on either your pedal of the pivot ball that your shift fork is on. i hear this sound a lot at work (infiniti dealer tech) when the car is cold . go under your dash and press the pedal with your hand. if you hear it lube the pedal. if its not from there have some one press the pedal while you listen to it in the engine bay. if its there its your chose to lube if you can thats pretty hard since there isnt mch space
By LowTEC-Derbo
iownahatchback wrote:what kind of clutch and flywheel do you have? if your flywheel is too light it will chatter. normal. when you press the clutch pedal it goes away right? then probably your flywheel. we had people come in with act pro light or street light flywheel wondering what that noise is

if it was your throw out bearing one it really souldnt be touchinig the pressure plate at idel. and if it your throw oubt bearing it would make noise when you press the pedal

as for your whining noise its cuz your putting it back in to first. not good for syncrho. if your down shifting and having to use your first gear to slow your self down then its time to up grade brakes. if your doing cuz you race its time to learn heel toe, if not then rev match from what i know putting it back in to first with out rev match is bad

the squeak in the mornign is almost normal. there isnt enough lube on either your pedal of the pivot ball that your shift fork is on. i hear this sound a lot at work (infiniti dealer tech) when the car is cold . go under your dash and press the pedal with your hand. if you hear it lube the pedal. if its not from there have some one press the pedal while you listen to it in the engine bay. if its there its your chose to lube if you can thats pretty hard since there isnt mch space

yea.... the transmission has already been removed and rebuilt. It WAS the input shaft bearing and the throwout bearing siezed as well.

the whining noise is not from my driving. Heel Toe is one of the things I do almost every day. Literally its rolling to a stop sign and putting it into 1st to move which is making the whining. It has been established it is the input shaft bearing anyways so thanks for the input. :]

the squeak was lack of bearing grease on the inputshaft.
By ohDirka
#59004 yeah I has mine replaced too now everything is all good