General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By BAXTER_EJ1
#52416 And what are the implications that go along with a short shifter?

I've heard people claim ruined bushings and worn teeth. Are any of these things true? To what extent?

It seems like a lot of people have short shifters, so are they all ruining their trannys?
By hkspowers
BAXTER_EJ1 wrote:And what are the implications that go along with a short shifter?

I've heard people claim ruined bushings and worn teeth. Are any of these things true? To what extent?

It seems like a lot of people have short shifters, so are they all ruining their trannys?

Well I have also heard these rumors, but IMO if you upgrade your shifter bushings to urethane ones I this will eliminate these problems. I have never had a problem with my short shifter. :D
By LowTEC-Derbo
BAXTER_EJ1 wrote:And what are the implications that go along with a short shifter?

its not that the short shifter is ruining transmissions, it is actually PEOPLE not used to it and causing mistimed shifts with feet and hands. The short shifter does not do anything more than move the shift linkage. You can shift a stock shifter just as fast as a short shifter and it should have no affect on the transmission.

It took time for me to get use to my skunk2 shortshifter but I love it. OEM height with the pivot point raised, so I get the short shifter with oem height shifter (PERFECT FOR THE ARMREST!)

stefan is right that a stock shifter cut will benefit.. but it won't be as significant as a proper short shifter. But I noticed that LOWER shifters will slow down shifting by increasing time of hand moving to shifter during track racing. Hence many people having those tall shifters in their race cars.

IN THEORY, it would be harder to shift as it doesnt have the same leverage, but it usually goes unnoticed.
By hkspowers
LowTEC-Derbo wrote:stefan is right that a stock shifter cut will benefit.. but it won't be as significant as a proper short shifter. But I noticed that LOWER shifters will slow down shifting by increasing time of hand moving to shifter during track racing. Hence many people having those tall shifters in their race cars.

IN THEORY, it would be harder to shift as it doesnt have the same leverage, but it usually goes unnoticed.

See my video I posted on the previous page, or better yet here is the link again.

http://www.little3d.com/randompage.html

Cutting a stock shifter does NOT have any benefit. It moves the same distance as stock +- a few millimeters. The only thing cutting achieves is a physically shorter shifter. This misinformation needs to be put to an end.
By VegasCivic
#54835 The threads on my short shifter broke off from me trying to remove the old ugly knob that some tard cemented on. Now the knob is 2 inches lower and i have fast throws =] :lol: