General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By fijiblu
#346922 Ok I need some help guys and gals....neways hello, I have a leak as the title says and don't know where its coming from. I've got a 94 gsr swap in my eg just incase someone's wondering. I've replaced both axle seals, shiftrod seal and even took the housing apart to clean out and reseal.....am I missing something :x ....oh and btw its not my oil pan seal leaking cause I've just replaced that with an OEM gasket torqued to spec, sequence, blah...blah..and so forth....pls someone help! Thx...
By Leppy
#346923 Help us out with a few more details.

Is it leaking engine oil, or gear oil?

what area is leaking?

what is covered in oil?

Sometimes if I can't find the leak, i'll spray the area clean and put leak trace powder on it (if you have some, I know it's hard to find) and then drive it to see where fresh oil comes out of.
By fijiblu
#346925 Its not leaking engine oil like said I just replaced the pan seal and the pan is dry...there's saturation on the bottom of trans on shift linkage....but I will say the saturation on the trans is more towards the fire wall than anywhere else.
By Leppy
#346930 seal in the transmission? Is your clutch new or old?
By fijiblu
#346932 New clutch...not even broken in yet and its not the rear main either I checked when I pulled the flywheel off.
By Leppy
fijiblu wrote:New clutch...not even broken in yet and its not the rear main either I checked when I pulled the flywheel off.

hmm. That's a tough one. Maybe someone else'll chime in too. Got a pic of the leak by chance?
By HeikDiesel
#346934 Is your case cracked? If it was me I'd thoroughly clean the trans and you should be able to see the issue. If it's hard to see you need to dye the oil and use a UV light to isolate the leak
By fijiblu
#346935 I can get one....once I get home from work I'll take a couple...thx again for your 2 cents guys.
By TrailerTrash
#346940 i had a problem like this on one of the transmissions i had in my coupe. i checked checked and rechecked everything i could trying to find the leak didnt find it untill i cleaned all the oil off and got it nice and dry(with brake cleaner ect.)

a very very small hairline crack in the bottom of the case. as if maybe someone in the past hit something just right where it didnt cause any noticable scrapes or gouges or anything like that. i mean i couldnt even feel it with my finger. not that it was a bad leak or anything but it was always oily and it bugged me
By fijiblu
#347015 Hey guys and gals well I found out what the PHANTOM LEAK was....well when I was explaining before what Id already replaced or what not, this was all cause I was replacing my clutch. Any who, i happened to have my brother in law help me on this special occasion and while im not trying to point the finger or nothing...👉 come to find out he ended up pushing the seal in past its sealing point on the transmission, so this whole time the smaller part of the half shaft wasn't making contact with the seal and flinging (expensive) trans fluid all over the place......😪:sigh:...."Thanks bro much love for ya!!" ....But I can't really be hard on him its my fault as well..should've been more observant......lesson learned...Oh, and btw thanks again for all the input!