General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By shottaz
#315775 hey guys can someone help me out on this
i swap my y21 tranny for an s80 on my b20vtec
now i have an problem i here like an grinding sound
when i shift to 5th gear and yesterday on the freeway
its like the 5th gear is gone all the way when i shift to 5th
it only rev but its not doing nothing and now i her like an rattling sound
what can this be aint no much about trannys 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th is good 5th gone all the way and now a rattling sound
By EJ1_MK
#315776 Sounds like the synchro for 5th has gone out. either that or the gear itself has no teeth on it. You will have to bust the case apart or replace the trans. I am sure it can be fixed but you might want to find someone that knows transmissions to help you work on it or do work on it.
By shottaz
#315777 i bought this gearbox my an honda expert that does everything
and i have guarantee so i call them up and it will be fixed
but still wanna no what to expect and what the problem is synchro rings
wear down 5th bearings ect
By EJ1_MK
#315778 Image

The gold things are the synchro's

See how they are next to the gears and in between the forts in this pic

These are just brass and well with hard shifting or really any abuse tend to wear down and then it won't hold in gear or feel like its in gear but doesn't do anything.

While they are in the trans to fix it I would ask to have all the bearings replaced since they have the case opened.
By shottaz
#316031 how can i see which spec s80 gearbox i have 96 or 98
is their like an identification any wear on the gearbox
i heard this before The code "4jhd" means
4.4 final drive was offered as original equipment, while "ne3" signifies 4.78 final drive. but cant find anything on my gearbox
when the gearbox is crack open can i see it then like by counting the theeth etc is there anyone nows that difference in 96 and 98 spec in theeth
and whats the best final drive for my b20vtec with b16 head everthing is stock pushing 200hp 4.4 or 4.78
By EJ1_MK
#316245 The higher the final drive the less top end but you will go threw gears more quickly.