General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By TrailerTrash
couch_c wrote:I wanted to change out my clutch and fly wheel but after hearing this idk I fi want to go through this much stress :thumbdown:

it can be a real pain in the ass... even more so when the engine is still in the car and the front end is up in the air.
By rustyrex
#304676 So, today I finally bought the 12 point sockets needed to remove the pressure plate and flywheel and discovered something that might interest some people. I have researched a D16A6 swap into a 92-95 civic for almost a year, so I thought I had 99% of the answers. I will be making a FAQ post on a few forums to bust all the BS about this swap. I read that ALL d series tranny were basically the same except 88-89 they had smaller discs. WRONG. The trans out of my 95 civic cx is way different than my 90 si trans. Different size disc, splines, pilot bearing everything. So I didn't ruin the clutch it just didn't fit. People praise the internet why? LOL.
By 92civic_vx
#304679 i have a d16a6 in my 92 vx and also had it in my old 92lx. the trans will bolt up from all D's but you have to make sure to get the clutch set for the trans you are using not the engine, i have the a6 bolted to a lx trans with a xtd stage 3 clutch for the Lx, this is the one i have
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XTD-STAGE-3-CLU ... 2c652d59a7
By TrailerTrash
92civic_vx wrote:i have a d16a6 in my 92 vx and also had it in my old 92lx. the trans will bolt up from all D's but you have to make sure to get the clutch set for the trans you are using not the engine, i have the a6 bolted to a lx trans with a xtd stage 3 clutch for the Lx, this is the one i have
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XTD-STAGE-3-CLU ... 2c652d59a7

exactly!

my buddy had a 91 hatch that was auto and went to swap an 88 si tranny and the ACT clutch and pressure plate didnt fit because he got it for the 91 motor not the 88 trans
By rustyrex
#304701 You are the first people who have worded that correctly. Every one o have talked to said its all the same. Nope. I found out the hard way. My cx motor had a brand new clutch kit on it. Now its in the scrap yard. I was furious earlier
By Stank.EG6.Stay.Nasty
#305673 It's a easy process... I pulled my tranny out, swapped the clutch and pressure plate, and put it back together in literally 2.5 hours... Just make sure you have a buddy, its your most important tool.