General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By JUICE
#201598 i brought this up in another thread but wanted more input...

Ok, an OEM LS/GSR clutch (same part #) is apparently made to handle at least 170bhp in a 2700 pound integra.

question is, does having this in a car weighing 700 lbs lighter (gutted hatch) allow the clutch to handle more HP??

anyone have experience with this? or, can anyone bust out some physics to explain it?? :lol:

700lbs is an ASS LOAD of weight to a 142bhp motor (stock LS). this is obvious when you ride in an integra with one, then in a gutted hatch with one. Its gotta allow for more bhp without all that weight, right??
By That One Dude
#201637 It's made to handle the torque and horsepower of the B18B1, regardless of the weight of the car. And not to sound like a douche, but the 2dr 'Tegs weigh 2560lbs according to Edmunds, and mine weighs 2600lbs almost exactly with full fluids and full fuel.

At any rate, 500-600lbs is a shitload of weight no matter how you toss the dice, and yes it will take a fair amount of strain off of the engine, clutch and transmission, but I wouldn't put anything more than standard bolt ons before upgrading the clutch.

Then you have to take in to account the fact that it's an older engine and probably won't be producing the factory 142bhp, so you will probably be safe for now. Again, don't go hog wild on power unless you like the smell of burning clutch material and scortched steel.
By JUICE
#201641 alright, so a 4dr teg :P

guess we'll just have to find out... hopefully it will be able to withstand close to 200 wheel so i can get it dyno'd before it shits out. it is at least brand new and i got it for a crack head price from a friend who's plans changed... but doubt it'll last long :lol:
By That One Dude
#201642 Dyno power and street power are two VERY different animals when it comes to the clutch.

On the dyno, you don't have a whole car to drag along. Yes, some dynos apply load, but as far as I know they don't apply a 2,000lb load to the engine/clutch/transmission.

Unless you already have the clutch in hand, I'd upgrade if I were you. I love my Fidanza 2.1. It grabs and holds when I need it to, and is quite civil when necessary. Coupled with the Fidanza 7.5lb flywheel, it's a dream on the track or the backroads. Downshifts are quick, engagement is solid but won't rip your brain stem out, and it only chatters a little bit when idling disengaged or when starting from a stop if I don't rev the engine above 2k rpm.
By That One Dude
#201897 Welp, don't be surprised if you have to upgrade pretty soon. Are you running the engine stock for a while then building up over time, or is it already producing power over stock?