N/A build discussion
By eghatch21
#242293 i have a 98 ls and im either gonna put b16 pistons in it or type r pistons. i also cant decide if i should get stage 2 or stage 3 cams.ppl have said stage 3 cams would be perfect for all motor but wouldnt stage 2 work just as good. let me kno some choices on cams thanks.
By Fada Blayne
#242395 Stage 3 is doable, but they'd be a little bit too aggressive for daily driving in my opinion. If ur planning on daily driving this car just get the stage 2's
By eghatch21
#242397 Thats another thing I was thinking bout cuz it will be my daily so I'll just get stage 2 cams
By dbrooks
#243126 Stage 2 FTW :D
By bserius
#249802 if your doing itr pistons go with tuner 2 cams or buddy club spec 3s. if ya go to big you will lose power
By Gustavo
#249827 Stage 3 is aggressive 4 a dd, i'll stick 2 stage 2.
By That One Dude
#249835 I was about to chime in by saying: What brand cams do you want? Stage 2 and Stage 3 is a completely arbitrary number. Crower LS NA Stage 2 are totally different from say Buddy Club Spec II or Skunk2 Tuner2 or Pro2.

When asking about cams, give your desired power goal, desired compression ratio, and whether you're going to daily the car or not. That will help people help you decide better which cams would be better for you particular application.

I'm not trying to flame or be arrogant or whatever. You'll have an easier time finding a better answer to your question if you include specifics.

That being said, I'd use the Crower NA LS Stage 2 if you want a fully streetable machine that can shit and get when necessary. The Crower website shows a stock B18A1 with I/H/E cams and springs/retainers making 152hp/125tq at the wheels. In a 2200lb Civic, that's fast.

Skunk2 doesn't make LS cams.

I'm pretty sure Buddy Club doesn't make LS cams.

I would say that you ought to check out Rocket Motorsports, but a quick search on Google tells me that they are no longer in business for some reason...

I'm not sure who else makes cams for the LS, but I'm sure someone else does.

If nothing else, look around at other people's LS builds and their results.
By OleFolk
#249840 Bisimoto ftw :thumb:
By bserius
#250032 bc spec3 are not a stage 3 cam just so ya know
By poorman type-r
#250035 What do you guys mean when you say its too aggressive for street?
By That One Dude
#250045 Too aggressive for street means that the power band is shifted too far up in the RPM band to be useful on the street. It's all relative to what you consider useable power and streetable power.

If you don't mind the sluggish response in the lower RPM range, you can use a more aggressive cam set, but depending on how aggressive you go) gas mileage will suffer, idle will be rough and high to keep the engine running, and the car will shake a bit.
By eghatch21
#250070 im just gonna stick wit crower stage 2 NA cams and buitl head from crower. crower seems to be a good company on parts so ill prolly go wit them and the compression ratio is 11.6:1 wit jdm type r pistions gonna prolly run 93 oct. lookin for 160-170 wit a good tune if i dont hit that owell it will still shit and get for a street car.
By dbrooks
#250071 brian crower FTW! :thumb:
bahaha
By AutoXCivic
eghatch21 wrote:im just gonna stick wit crower stage 2 NA cams and buitl head from crower. crower seems to be a good company on parts so ill prolly go wit them and the compression ratio is 11.6:1 wit jdm type r pistions gonna prolly run 93 oct. lookin for 160-170 wit a good tune if i dont hit that owell it will still shit and get for a street car.

You could look at the crower 404 cams. I did some research on an N/A b20 build a while back and those look like a nice cam for a high compression non-vtec engine. They're listed as a stage 2 - 3/4 race cam, but from what I was able to find out they are completely streetable. Should give you a big more up top over the standard stage 2. Just something to look into.