N/A build discussion
By poorman type-r
#214196 Ha yeah I already added everything up and its going to cost around 20 grand but probably more than that after everything is all said and done. Do you really think it will only run 2 runs and the motor would be done? What do you mean by rebuilding though? Do you mean like a full rebuild from square one or what?
By That One Dude
#214210 There's always the potential that it could only be good for a couple of runs. Of course that's the case for a lot of parts combinations.

But as Greased said, you can make GOOD power on 12-13:1 with good tuning and fuel type.
By poorman type-r
#214245 Well I mean im not going for the fastest NA in the world but it would be cool to be up there in that category. I mean Gods built that all motor hatch running 9.6 in 1/4. So it would be nice to hit low 10's.
By That One Dude
#214461 Hitting low 10s NA is going to put you at one of the fastest NA hatches out there. Granted it takes a lot to get from 10.4 to 9.6, per se, but youre still going to be spending a shit ton of money and time, and labor, and rebuilt time, etc on the engine.

Can't forget the transmission, too. If that's not up to par, you'll go nowhere with a really powerful NA monster. And axles, and suspension, and tires, and wheels, and brakes........the list goes on for a 10 second hatch.
By Greasedmonkey
#214466 IMO its not worth it to chase after a Parts company in terms of power or speed. You will never keep up. They are way to funded.
By poorman type-r
#214475 Well what would I have to get for my tranny to handle the power? Also I have always wanted to build and all motor because everybody in my town thinks that a little 4 cylinder can't push out enough power to even make a 12 second 1/4. So proving them wrong will make this build that much more sentimental.
By That One Dude
#214503 You can roll mid 11s in a gutted, caged hatch pushing 250whp NA. I've seen it done.

For the tranny, MFactory makes a really good gear set, carbon synchro set, and final drive set. They're not stupid expensive either, as compared to higher end companies. And a limited slip is in order. Kaaz, Quaife, MFactory, so long as it's a well known company with a good reputation, you're golden.
By Greasedmonkey
#214548 A stock tranny can handle the power just fine. No need to dish out thousands on MFactory gears.
By Greasedmonkey
#214657 I Believe you can change the ratios and they are stronger. Better synchros. Check out their site. I believe its www.mfactory.com. If that isnt it, google it.
By poorman type-r
#214664 For sure. Thanks for all the input guys. Instead of Crowed cams would M24x cams be better or even custom cams?
By Greasedmonkey
#214699 The Rocket stuff is pretty good. Those cams are in the mid range for them. Depends on what CR they like.
By poorman type-r
#214790 Yeah, I mean I want this build to happen but I ran the numbers and its going to cost+ 20 grand.
By Greasedmonkey
#214803 Eh? Sounds a bit pricey. Mine was no where near that and should have made about 200 whp.