Topics that apply to all 92-95 civics
By HuGz
#334533 Hi everyone, I am new to the forums and im not entirely sure that this is the right place to post my question, but if anyone can give me some tips, and things to look for when I am buying a '94 Civic Hatchback. Thank you for understanding as I am new.
By JohnRM
#334535 Definitely look for rust, especially where the quarter panels are located.
By HuGz
#334536 Thank You! Anything engine, transmission wise
By JohnRM
HuGz wrote:Thank You! Anything engine, transmission wise

Have a test drive. Listen for transmission grinds, engine knocking, any type of smoke/smell and ask about it.
By HuGz
#334538 Are there any common problems I should be aware of? Anything particular I should also look at? Thank you for helping it means allot
By TrailerTrash
#334586 as said above scope the car out for rust. stick your fingers under the fender lips and feel around anywhere else you can. look underneath the car everyhere you can see.

watch for the CEL. make sure that the reason its not on is not that the bulb isnt there :lol:
Bykutthroatkrow
#334588 What about an oil smell after hard driving? Sorry for the thread jack tis a common question and one I have too
By HuGz
#334598 Thank you for all the replys it means alot.
By Flatland_EG
#334601 Don't be afraid to ask if the owner can drive up it up on some ramps or jack it up so you can get a GOOD look underneath, any wet spots should be considered questionable, if the owner doesn't have either to do so then bring your own if you can and if they say no, period, then move along. :thumb:
By Virux
#334811 There's not really any faults or flaws of the '94 Civic to specifically look for. If it has those clear euro brake lights, a canister muffler and a bodykit I'd avoid it. Things I would highlight..

Rear quarter panel rust as mentioned. +Look for bubbling in the paint.

The rear trailing arm bushings. You can see them in front of the rear wheel like this, http://tinypic.com/a57yh1.jpg most 5th gen Civic's have bad ones. I don't think it would really matter much to an average driver but if they're real bad they make an awful squeaking noise going over curbs(like on/off driveways or parking lots) and speed bumps.

Check the little labels on each of the windows, this can help you determine if any of the windows were replaced for some reason. Scanning body panel alignments/gaps can also help identify any damage.

Good luck.
By TrailerTrash
#334812 check the core support to see if its been replaced.
By suspendedHatch
#334925 Oil leaks are fairly common, especially from the oil pan gasket, breather box O-ring, cam, crank, valve cover, and distributor seals. I don't mind fixing these at all.

If the car shows signs of having been modified or in a significant wreck, avoid it like the plague. Body kits might as well be a total loss. Avoid carbon fiber hoods as well.

Make sure the door jams and engine bay are the same color as the outside of the car.

If the car is in a snow or ocean climate, the rear wheel wells will have rust and all the suspension bolts will be seized up. The rear strut bolts, front and rear control arm bolts will be rusted stuck. I only buy cars from desert climates. The paint will be faded but there's no rust!

Another big concern is interior condition. If it's painted, walk away. The driver's seat will always have a tear, but that's not a big issue since you can get passenger seat fabric from the junkyard and swap it. But it's getting very hard to find interior bits. Nobody is selling good Integra seats anymore and the cars in the junkyard always have greasy parts thrown in them besides almost always having been picked bare.

The seat belts never retract smoothly and the dealerships are dicks about honoring the lifetime warranty claiming that no replacements are available.

Expect to have to resolder the main relay circuit board unless it's 94 or newer. Also, the dimmer switches typically go out but are easy to find in the junkyards. Cruise control needs adjustment and maintenance or replacement. If it's older than 94, the AC is R12 and not worth keeping IMO. Expect to have to redo any aftermarket stereo harness and replace a shitty alarm install.
By suspendedHatch
#334926 Also avoid wire tucks. If they did it right, they probably wouldn't be selling it.