Topics that apply to all 92-95 civics
By familyEGuy23
#332657 Well I did and still failed :thumbdown: every smog place I went to didn't want to touch it
I have d16z6 USDM intake manifold and exhaust manifold w/ new o2 sensor, 6 month old cat converter
Had high NOX #
Idk if that's true then I might be picking up a block and start building it slowly to meet refs requirements, I heard it all depends who you go too though.
By suspendedHatch
0216 wrote:just one thing, what car should I use to ask for the parts when I hit the shop...?

I have an integra XSI jdm b16a with a 98 head...if that helps, meanwhile ill be hooking the D back to the 4dr.

1994-95 Del Sol VTEC

The engine has to be from the same year or newer car. Swapping the head from another engine generation is never legal, so you will have to pass that off and hope they don't notice.

In this case you may be better off putting the D back in. More information changes the answer you will get.
By suspendedHatch
familyEGuy23 wrote:Well I did and still failed :thumbdown: every smog place I went to didn't want to touch it
I have d16z6 USDM intake manifold and exhaust manifold w/ new o2 sensor, 6 month old cat converter
Had high NOX #
Idk if that's true then I might be picking up a block and start building it slowly to meet refs requirements, I heard it all depends who you go too though.

As a smog tech, I would turn away cars that were stupidly modified or if I thought that they were going to put illegal parts back on as soon as they got the papers. If they get pulled over and the cops see that, it comes back to me and I can lose my cert. Never worked in CA though (and I no longer work in the industry at all).

Many JDM swaps have high NOx due to the slight differences in design between USDM and JDM engines. First thing to do is dump that bogus Magnaflow or "high-flow" cat and get any regular, generic cat converter. Second, set your base ignition timing. Third, run 91 octane.

Avoid the ref completely if at all possible. I've had JDM D15Bs and ZCs in several cars and never had the smog tech suspect that it was swapped. It helps not to have an overly modified-looking car and by choosing the smog shop carefully. suspiciousHatch :wink:
By familyEGuy23
#332882 Thanks for the input suspendedhatch :thumb:
I'm thinking of just picking up a USDM gsr block (obd1 preferred) or a b16a3 and getting all the stock parts slowly for the next smog check, so I have 1.5 year

I honestly think its the hellaflush kids that caused star smogging here in California , because it seems like having a Honda here is like the new trend :thumbdown:
Imagine all the lil swag yolo kids in school now graduated and got a car, they get a Honda and find out about swaps and making them faster, some kid asked me if I had a b20 in my eg at a stop light I said "no its stock" he shook his head in disapproval :lol: sorry if I got off topic
By suspendedHatch
#332933 This is nothing new. I got into Hondas around 2000. Fast and Furious kicked off the douche-bag Honda fad soon after. Before that it was mostly low budget drag racers and street racing for money. Now you can't find an Integra or Civic that isn't modified to shit.

What's funny is seeing these cars end up back in the general population. I have helped several unknowing victims that purchased previously modified vehicles. Engine swaps are poorly done, often times with illegal parts or stupid combinations, then abandoned to the used car market. The new owners have no idea what they have and what to do with it.