Topics that apply to all 92-95 civics
By HiTec
#328232 Thought that it would be nice to write small DIY for this mod.

So, you have EDM electrical adjustable headlights and you would like to have (example) SPEC-D type of headlights but you dont want to lose electrical adjustment? Or you have the motors only, but they dont fit your OEM-manual adjustment headlights? If so, keep reading!

Here is a good picture of differences between OEM-electrical adjustment equipped EDM headlights (stamped as a 6622) vs "manual" adjustment OEM EDM headlights (stamped as a 6619).

As you can see, the motors arent bolt on.

Because this is a small DIY, I wont guide you about "how to disassembly headlights". There is already a good guides for that.

Okay, one and only thing that your headlights (where you are going to retrofit these adjusters) must have, is 4 mounting tabs for the electrical motors.

Here is some pics:

EDM headlight adjuster motor:

How the SPEC-D headlight housing looks before. See the 4 mounting tabs where you can bolt the motor:

Here is how you need to modify your headlight housing:

- First you need to remove the manual adjustment. You can drill it of, or you can snap of the little thing inside of the headlight that holds it in.
- Next thing you need to do, is to shave of that excess plastic. Use dremel, or any other tool that might do the job. The base must be completely flat.
- Then you need to measure the headlight adjuster motor housing part, that fits inside of the headlight base. If i remember correctly it was 20-22mm. You need to drill the headlight adjuster hole to that diameter.

When you have done those steps, motor installation is pretty straight forward. Picture of motor attached to the light, tight fit. Motors should have the OEM seals, but if they dont have them, you can use any round seals between the motor and the headlight housing to prevent water/moisture going in:

Picture taken from the final product. If you need any help of retrofitting the complete headlight adjustment system to your car, please check the DIY-section, its already there, written by the other Civic-EG user :)

By Punksz6
#328353 :thumb: Great Work, nice write up!! :thumb:
By AutoXRacer
#330576 Greats write-up, I just have a few questions.

I have D2S Morimoto Retrofit Spec-D Headlights, and I think this instal would be nice and handy.

1) Does this instal only adjust up and down? Not left to right?
2) Do you know how to instal This set-up on a non-adjustable car? (Harness, Relay, Switch, Motors), Is it pretty strait forward?

Thanks.
By HiTec
AutoXRacer wrote:Greats write-up, I just have a few questions.

I have D2S Morimoto Retrofit Spec-D Headlights, and I think this instal would be nice and handy.

1) Does this instal only adjust up and down? Not left to right?
2) Do you know how to instal This set-up on a non-adjustable car? (Harness, Relay, Switch, Motors), Is it pretty strait forward?

Thanks.

Sorry for late reply!

1) This is only height adjustment, not left to right.
2) Yes. My car didnt have pre-wired harness, i had to wire it by myself. The only thing that was pre-wired was the adjuster switch connector, in the e-brake console.

The wiring is pretty simple. There is no relays. The motors have all the required electronics built in:

Motors have 3 wires. +, - and one wire that senses the ground level difference from the switch. The motors compare the negative and level wire difference to determine which position the switch has. The switch is simple. It has 3 resistors built in to change ground level ohms.

So. The switch harness has 2 wires: One from the chassis ground to the switch connector and one wire from the switch connector to the motors level wire. Then you just need to get a chassis ground to the motors and +12v. So it really is very straightforward.