Topics that apply to all 92-95 civics
By bobjimwilly
#19026 Evening all!
I broke the 2 wires leading into the top of the radiator auxhillary fan plug :roll: and I was wondering if it is okay to just put two spade connectors on the end instead of trying to source another plug?

Also, does anyone know how I can easily test the fan actually works without driving the engine hard and actually raising water temperature?

:?

Pictures of plug:

Pictures of my "bodge job" spade connectors:
(water bottle removed for better view)
By york62
#19030 hook it to your battery... see if its blowing the right way...i guess i donno
By ChicagoMike
#19032 Should be okay, just run the car at idle for a while and make sure the fan turns on. :thumb:
By york62
AddictiveAllMotor wrote:Should be okay, just run the car at idle for a while and make sure the fan turns on. :thumb:

i have an idea..... do that!!^^
By ChicagoMike
york62 wrote:
AddictiveAllMotor wrote:Should be okay, just run the car at idle for a while and make sure the fan turns on. :thumb:

i have an idea..... do that!!^^

Too funny!! :lol: :thumb:
By ChicagoMike
#19045 Oh yeah, you can also just run the power wire directly to the battery for see if the fan spins. :thumb:
By bobjimwilly

Thing is I know the radiator is brand new and its not exactly hot over here in Northern England, so the engine might not actually get hot enought by idling - and my neighbours might not be too happy if I stand with the pedal down for 10 mins (they are quite old and what we call in Yorkshire "mardy") :roll:

The other thing is if the fan doesn't kick in, I won't really know if its a sensor, the fan motor, a wiring issue etc! Any more ideas? :D
By bobjimwilly
AddictiveAllMotor wrote:Oh yeah, you can also just run the power wire directly to the battery for see if the fan spins. :thumb:

That's more like it :hehe:
It won't be *too much* power though will it? (i know the fan is 12v but those two little wires are awfully small?)

bit scared now... me and electricity haven't got on in past... :eh:

will let you know how I got on. thanks again! :thumb:
By york62
AddictiveAllMotor wrote:Oh yeah, you can also just run the power wire directly to the battery for see if the fan spins. :thumb:

thats what i was saying!!
By bobjimwilly
york62 wrote:

oops sorry you're right, kinda missed your points - kudos to you too mate! :D
By york62
bobjimwilly wrote:
york62 wrote:

oops sorry you're right, kinda missed your points - kudos to you too mate! :D

oh well it doesnt matter man, more help the better!!
By ChicagoMike
#19064 Hahahah, just bypass the whole thing and just run it to a switch. Turn the fan on and off whenever you want. :lol:

Seriously though, if you run a wire directly to the battery (which is totally safe) and the fan spins, at least you can eliminate that as the problem.

Idleing your car in freezing temps will still get the car hot enough to turn the fan on. Worst case scenario.......go to a parking lot somewhere and just stay on the gas for a few mins.