Topics that apply to all 92-95 civics
By littledelsol
#374 I have a b-series engine and I use to have a/c. I removed the a/c unit but left the mounting bracket.
My question is do I still need the bracket to be installed?
Dose it do anything for the engine?
It is bolted to the engine block then another part has a bushing around it and the bushing is bolted to the chassis, so im not sure if it is for more support.
By teal_dx
#376 I wondered the same thing on my D16. It would be nice to get rid of those but I think they're functional... For the D-series, honda does make one for cars without AC that is much smaller and only has the mount on the end. Maybe they make something similar for the B?

My next plan was to cut off the top half of the bracket so only the bottom 2 bolts are there.
By littledelsol
#377 Alot of cars in different mags. don't have them.
If it is needed then I will change mine to the lighter weight Aluminum Type R unit, but if I dont then I will just remove it all together.
By teal_dx
#378 Maybe with solid/urethane mounts on the 3 main motor mounts, it is stiff enough to remove the 2 front lower mounts? I'll do some researching on this.
By littledelsol
#379 I just dont want to remove it if it help in any way.
By teal_dx
#380 Well I've heard a couple of different things...

Someone said that those lower mounts are there to keep the engine from going thru the firewall in an accident.

I also read that if the 3 main mounts are filled, then these 2 are not needed.

On the other hand, someone said that they help to keep the engine from twisting on launches. Too much twisting from torque could lead to an axle popping out partially (although not likely)

I think I'm going to leave mine out when I put my car back together. I filled both top mounts and the rear mount. I had the top mounts filled on my old setup but not the rear and that was stiff, the whole dash vibrated frm the engine. So now with the rear mount filled, I'm going to see how it does without them.

I have a puny D series with no AC or power steering & aftermarket header, so it is lighter than most motors. Whenever I get around to going turbo I might think about putting them back on since the turbo adds some lbs to the front of the engine.

The cars you saw in magazines that didn't have lower front mounts, were these show cars or track cars. I can see them being removed to clean up the engine bay but on something that is driven hard they might have more of a function.
By littledelsol
teal_dx wrote:Well I've heard a couple of different things...

The cars you saw in magazines that didn't have lower front mounts, were these show cars or track cars. I can see them being removed to clean up the engine bay but on something that is driven hard they might have more of a function.

Both! I never have seen them on a track but they talk about how fast they do the 1/4 mile, so I assume they race.