General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By Phoenix288
#342637 Hi, my engine has been doing strange things lately.

Stopping the car at a red light or stop sign, the engine kept its rpms at around 1500 for 30 seconds before settling into idle at 700.

I was just wondering what it could be and if it could create problems in the future.
By silverEG8
#342638 Might have something to do with fluctuating fuel supply?
By Phoenix288
#342639 The only thing that comes to mind is that I recently went from 95 octane to 98 octane.

Or could the fuel pump be on its last legs ?
By silverEG8
#342641 My hunch would be on the octane level.
By Phoenix288
#342642 Ok thanks, so it is probably temporary. Thanks for the infos.
By silverEG8
#342643 welcome :D
By HeikDiesel
#342644 I highly doubt octane is causing this. I would look at items that affect idle: IAC,vacuum hoses, FITV, EGR, etc
By Phoenix288
#342645 Ok, I'll look into it. I've got an inspection planed for the 25th. I'll add it to the list.
By brandoff88
#342694 silver eg, why in the HELL would a change that small in octane cause an idle issue....no offense but that sounded like you made that up on the spot....lol
By silverEG8
#342706 Well, that was my hunch. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected. :D
By brandoff88
#342707 I meant no offense, but if he upgraded octane wouldn't his motor run better lol, but it definitely sounds like something maybe vacuum related, id double check all the hoses and stuff to make sure they are not brittle and cracked
By Phoenix288
#342709 It runs awesome ! It just need 30 seconds to get to idle after I disengage the clutch and let go of the throttle.
By brandoff88
#342714 have you adjusted your idle screw yet? could be set high, and is it fully warmed up when this happens? I know mine likes to idle around 1100 until warmed up and at lights it will kinda idle high then go down until warm...
By Phoenix288
#342715 To answer your first question, I have not touched the idle screw. Since I don't know where it is coming from and the event is temporary, I'd rather not change anything.

For your second question, it usually happens when the engine is cold. My commute is about 15 minutes so the engine would be warmed up.

As for my driving behavior during the commute, I shift up at max 4000 RPM.

That's all the information I can come up with, if you'd like to know more specifics, you can ask.
By suspendedHatch
brandoff88 wrote:I meant no offense, but if he upgraded octane wouldn't his motor run better lol

You call him out on that and then unleash this little morsel lol

Higher octane doesn't make your car run better. If your engine doesn't require it, it technically makes it run worse. Higher octane is harder to burn.