General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By suspendedHatch
#342808 My guess is that there is some problem; vacuum leak or over advanced ignition timing. This causes the idle to be too high and the ECU has trouble bringing it down. It make have to completely close the IACV and retard the timing to get it down to 700RPM.
By Phoenix288
suspendedHatch wrote:Higher octane doesn't make your car run better. If your engine doesn't require it, it technically makes it run worse. Higher octane is harder to burn.

Actually, engine response is much better since the octane change. I don't know if there'sa a standard for the Civic.

Here is Europe we get either 95 or 98 octane.
By brandoff88
#342832 didnt really call him out on anything just simply was baffled by the statement, I just figured if you have better fuel it would run better, obviously there would be instances where that would be incorrect, and if I came across rude that was not my intention :( I do NOT claim to be an expert I was just curious as to the thought process behind the statement. apparently I need to insert my foot into my mouth lol. BUT seeing as he never stated what motor/ mods/ cr, etc he has, no one has anyway of knowing what octane he SHOULD be using except him, it could very well be a issue of octane, again I was simply curious as to how idle problems could result from octane change, never run into the issue myself..but ill take this as a learning experience as well. btw suspended hatch, I did NOT know higher octane fuel was harder to burn, thanks for the info :thumb:

edit: now that I re-read your post, I see you mentioned over advanced timing being an issue, and I just remembered that I had an issue with that when putting my dizzy on, idled really high till I retarded it enough to bring down idle.
By Phoenix288
#342839 My engine is a D13B2 and is untouched. Like they say in Hot Version, Do Normal.