General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By pyang004
#306076 1995 Honda Civic 4dr Sedan DX

When I try to fill the tank from "E" I can't get more than 6-7 gallons before the pump cuts off. My fuel gauges reads the tank only being 3/4 full. I don't want to pump more gas in case the tank is full and I get gas pouring out the top.

The other reason I don't want to pump more gas... I think my fuel sending unit in the tank is faulty. So the tank might be full.

The gauge reads like I'm heavy on a V6. It also reads up or down from where I left it every time I get in the car. Example: I go to the store, shop for an hour, come back and it reads lower than when I parked it. I go home, wake up the next day, and its back up.

I've changed the gauge cluster from the stock DX to an EX for the rpm gauge and both gauges are acting the same. So I'm pretty sure it's the fuel sending unit in the tank. I'm replacing this when I have extra funds.

But back to the filler neck question. I assume that a mechanism in the filler neck reads the tank full and shuts off the pump. What I don't know is how exactly this works. Someone told me the mechanism might be stuck or something. Do any of you know how it works and if it could be fix. I would rather save money and fix it if I can. If not I'll have to buy a filler neck.

My funds are going to more important things right now, but its annoying not knowing how much fuel I have in the tank and when I need to fill up. I work 40 mins from my house and the civic should last me 2 weeks before filling up. I have to pump gas every week because of this.
By elrompetoto
#306080 The way it works is there is a little ball in the filler neck at the bottom of the neck when ur tank is full the ball Flotes up a lil and locks the filler neck the pump can fell that the full is not pumping and it shuts off. Allso u can have a clogged breather on the tank when u pump gas the fumes can make the sister think the tank is full. The fumes will make the ball lock the filler neck. Go. 2 a junk yard and get a sending unit just take the pump off that way u can buy it 4 cheap and use ur old pump cuz if ur car is not stalling then ur pump is good