General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By LionHearted1
#291260 So, while working on my car today, a kid in my auto service tech class informed me that my car idles fairly high. *It sits at around 1,100rpms.* He offered to adjust it for me, and since he is also a Honda driver, I didn't see any problems with it.

He brought it down to around 800-900rpms while it was parked and told me that I should get better fuel economy, and some possibly better power on my bottom end...

While driving home, I noticed that the idle while stopped at a light or sign dipped down to around 400rpms, and if I really press my brake pedal in, it drops to an even lower 100rpms.

I haven't really noticed any improvements or problems since this, as my commute home is pretty traffic heavy.

I'm really just wondering if this kid had any idea about what he was talking about, and having my car sit at 100 rpms kinda scares the shit out of me. ITS SO QUIET.

If it helps, I'm driving a 1993 Civic LX, with the stock D15B7, and the basic I/H/E set-up.
By Eg6H2D
LionHearted1 wrote:So, while working on my car today, a kid in my auto service tech class informed me that my car idles fairly high. *It sits at around 1,100rpms.* He offered to adjust it for me, and since he is also a Honda driver, I didn't see any problems with it.

He brought it down to around 800-900rpms while it was parked and told me that I should get better fuel economy, and some possibly better power on my bottom end...

While driving home, I noticed that the idle while stopped at a light or sign dipped down to around 400rpms, and if I really press my brake pedal in, it drops to an even lower 100rpms.

I haven't really noticed any improvements or problems since this, as my commute home is pretty traffic heavy.

I'm really just wondering if this kid had any idea about what he was talking about, and having my car sit at 100 rpms kinda scares the shit out of me. ITS SO QUIET.

If it helps, I'm driving a 1993 Civic LX, with the stock D15B7, and the basic I/H/E set-up.

What did he do exactly. if it was at 1100rpms, all you really had to do is clean your IACV in the back of the manifold. AND THAT SHOULD HAVE PUT IT BACK TO NORMAL. 750-850..

and it dropping that low to 450, is not a good thing. Also, at 100rpms it wouldnt run at all.. lol. that last line you see on your OEM tach is 450. before 0
By Will_SG
LionHearted1 wrote:So, about what would I want my car to idle at?

1100rpm is quite high. Based on the service manual, it is should be 700-800rpm.