General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By doubskie
#243106 so i have a few minor problems going on with my 95 cx.
i posted a thread a while back about the hunting idle. it seems to be getting a little worse. it hunts down to about 400 RPMs instead of up like most hondas seem to do. it also idles a little too low even when not hunting. about 650 RPMs.
i still need to check a few things like vacum leaks, throttle body valves. but before i do id like to get some opinions on something

im pretty sure my car is running pretty rich. i have a black spray out of my exhaust pipe and it sometimes smells a little rich. the black spray gets pretty bad sometimes. by the end of the week my back end is real dirty from it.

could these be connected at all?
and why could my car be running so rich?
By suspendedHatch
#243321 When idling that low the ECU will dump a ton of fuel in an attempt to keep the engine running. It is a symptom of your idle issue and not the problem.

Check your IACV and make sure the screens are clean. Make sure your ignition timing isn't way off. It's not idling fast enough for you to time properly, but you can see whether your distributor is cranked all the way to one side. Clean out the throttle body idle screw passage and adjust the screw. Make sure your cam timing didn't jump a tooth on the belt. Make sure all four cylinders are firing ignition and injectors.