General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By Eg6_Lover
#222924 I'm building a 92 hatch and was wondering what would be better for a daily driver with the occasional track visit individual throttle bodies or just a bigger throttle body with short ram intake?
By poorman type-r
#222939 It all depends on how much you are willing to spend, ITB's are really expensive (unless you make your own) and you also need to get a tune when you get them. You will feel a big difference with ITB's compared to a intake and TB though. So its all up to you and if you are willing to spend the money on on them.
By Eg6_Lover
#222943 alright but with a dd and itb's would you have to worry bout them sucking up moisture or any foreign objects?
By OleFolk
Eg6_Lover wrote:alright but with a dd and itb's would you have to worry bout them sucking up moisture or any foreign objects?

Yeah you do but im pretty sure they make "sock" filters for them
they sound sick nasty as shit they are badass
ITB + Turbo = :shock:
By Eg6_Lover
{ikon}EM1 wrote:
OleFolk wrote:ITB + Turbo = :shock:

I think u can't do that cus its kinda like a n/a application...

yah ive never seen ITB's on a turbo setup myself but that does sound sick just not where im goin im tryin for a strong n/a b16 bored to 2.0L. who sells ITB's anyways ive looked through a bunch of different companies (skunk2, golden eagle, rs machines, etc) and the only ones ive seen forsale is through bisimoto but no prices were advertised...
By poorman type-r
#222982 Lol boring it to a 2.0 eh? That's going to give you like 10-12 miles to the gallon lol

I have seen ITB's on a turboed Datsun, it is WAY to much of a hassle and it is more than just welding it together because of air velocity and just a whole mess of shit. I will try and find the link.
By poorman type-r
#222984 TWM also makes ITB's for b series.

http://www.apexspeedtech.com/phpbb/view ... 186&p=1761

Found a guy who did it in his single cam ^^ :thumb:
By Flatland_EG
#222988 I've seen people make them from crotch rocket(hayabusa) throttle bodies, just hit up a junk yard that takes motorcycles. Then your have to run a engine management like mega squirt, which is completely customizable to your setup. I know it can be done far cheaper than buying a prefabbed setup alone, kind of like a junkyard turbo with mitsu parts. :) .

Oh yeah, and speaking of ITB. How a bout a little inspiration. :D
By OleFolk
{ikon}EM1 wrote:

I know your right. It cant happend but If it did :twisted:
By asianrob
OleFolk wrote:
{ikon}EM1 wrote:

pretty sure it CAN happen. you have to build a plenum for it

theres an old TE Corolla here in town that has AE101 ITB's with a custom plenum. it is running like a ridiculous turbo that is like 70 trim? or the size of the moon? but its VERY possible.
By asianrob
#223019 http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2648994

just for shits and giggles i did 5 seconds of research and here is some one that posted their's set up. with videos too.
By poorman type-r
#223040 Lol look at the link I put, so it is possible.

Idk if its worth the time and all the custom shit but hey its unique and doesn't look bad.
By Flatland_EG
asianrob wrote:
OleFolk wrote:
{ikon}EM1 wrote:

theres an old TE Corolla here in town that has AE101 ITB's with a custom plenum. it is running like a ridiculous turbo that is like 70 trim? or the size of the moon? but its VERY possible.

If you have to add a plenum isn't it essentially the same as turboing a regular TB, except the butterflies are on the runners.

Sounds like and overcomplicated way to turbo a car, unless it's done for the sole purpose of saying you did it.
By asianrob
EGg OH! wrote:
asianrob wrote:
OleFolk wrote:
{ikon}EM1 wrote:

If you have to add a plenum isn't it essentially the same as turboing a regular TB, except the butterflies are on the runners.

Sounds like and overcomplicated way to turbo a car, unless it's done for the sole purpose of saying you did it.

depends how you put it. some set ups make better power with ITB's and a plenum vs an intake manifold and a single throttle body. its just research you have to do. ITB's are great for Top end. that and i was just showing those people that said you cant do it lol.

theres a GTR some where on the Net that switched to ITB's + plenum and make more power vs Manifold and a single throttle body.

for a street setup it might be a little much to do both. but as far as if you do a plenum vs intake manifold

with ITB's and custom plenum you can make it to how you want. a good plenum will make you nice power, and also has better response.

with an intake manifold if you want to port it on the inside like a lot of people want to do you have to cut that shit open do it and re weld it.