General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By knakmuhs
#176302 Hello everyone! My name is Chris!

I am new to civic-eg and Honda cars in general.

My car is a 1992 Civic VX hatch with the stock VTEC-E d15z1 motor and a cold air intake...that's it!

My car seems to be missing at idle. You can hear a popping/poofing noise from the exhaust pipe. Anytime other than idle, the car performs good!

The idle also gets extremely low when the headlights are turned off. When I turn the lights back on, the idle smooths out a little, but it still misses.

I did the following in hope of solving the problems: New plugs and wires, new fuel filter, and I cleaned the IACV. I was going to replace my PCV but, the PCV that was already installed was just a hallow L-shaped tube.....could this have anything to do with my problems?

The alternator was recently replaced by the previous owner (supposedly). The distributor on the car looks brand new... Could the person who installed the new distributor possibly messed up the ignition timing? or would timing have nothing to do with idle?

I don't have a CEL. Maybe I need to reset my ecu or something?...to see if one might come on?...

Maybe I should go through and check all of my electrical stuff? I have a multi meter, so I'm sure I could check things if someone went over the procedures me (I'm pretty new to these type of things =p)

Here is a few things that people have suggested I inspect : Catalytic converter (possibly clogged?), Fuel injectors, Vacuum leaks, bad 02 sensor, incorrect ignition timing, exhaust leak, etc..

I'm sorry for writing a book but, I'm desperate to figure this out! This miss/noise is driving me crazy!!

Please help me if you can!
Thank you! - Chris Knakmuhs
By d-mon
#176323 if they replaced the distributor the timing may be messed up. and yes it does affect the idle.
O2 sesnor can go bad without throwing a cel.
in fact the only way i've ever gotten an o2 cel is by dissconnecting it.
i have replaced them to pass smog, so i know they were bad.
replace your pcv valve, there ~$4.99 at autozone and they're not supposed to be hollow.
set ignition timing @ 16*btdc
the ecoFreaks recommend these plugs:
NGK V-Power Spark Plugs No. ZFR4F-11