General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By jrhdominos
#167801 I am getting ready to change my oil, and Ive been debating on whether to go with conventional oil or synthetic oil. Ive heard that conventional over time leaves waxes and sludge that "maintains" your seals in your engine, and that switching to a fully synthetic oil can clean up this wax and sludge, and create oil leaks...Ive heard good things and Ive heard bad things...any advice would be helpful.
By hkspowers
#167803 Synthetic oil is better in every way. People who say otherwise are just old fogies or people stuck in their ways. It last longer, is much more resistant to heat, and you can go longer intervals between changing.

Yes some have cleaning agents but if your car is being held together with gunk and grime then it's time to replace seals. I have switched many cars over to synthetic and I have never noticed that as a cause for leaks forming.

I run royal purple in my car a little pricey but damn it is worth it.
By Dippin_EG
#167805 young fogie checking in. I ran synthetic in mostly all of my cars until i realized that about 2500 miles in i noticed the rocker arms would be noisy for a few min after startup.

With conventional, ive never had this problem. I now run conventional. Its time tested and works great as long as you keep up with oil changes.
By elrompetoto
#167826 It all depends on the miles on ur car if ur over 100k then go with high mile oil if ur around 60 or 70 go with synte... normal oil last 3000 miles synte last 5000 miles if u do a lot of driving with heavy shit in the car then u can use synte blend but I don't think u need that..... aka if u don't need high mile oil then go with synte if u have 70 or 60 miles go with a hevy oil 4 example I'm runing 10 40 and my motor takes 5 30
By pinky
#167831 Not to thread jack, but what oil is the best to use, as in the 10w40 or 10w30 and so on...? The odometer says it has 362k miles on it, but I don't accurately know if it is the original motor or not.
By Chance
pinky wrote:Not to thread jack, but what oil is the best to use, as in the 10w40 or 10w30 and so on...? The odometer says it has 362k miles on it, but I don't accurately know if it is the original motor or not.

10w40 is thicker (but only when hot, they are the same thickness cold.)
By pinky
Chance wrote:
pinky wrote:Not to thread jack, but what oil is the best to use, as in the 10w40 or 10w30 and so on...? The odometer says it has 362k miles on it, but I don't accurately know if it is the original motor or not.

so 10w40 would be best for mine? Any special brand?
By elrompetoto
#167838 It all depends on the miles of ur motor if u have a lot of miles then u need a thiker oil cuz u have more worn parts on ur car so it all depends I have about 123,000 and I use high mile 10.40 my motor takes 5 30 but I know I got some worn parts so I went a lil thiker just 2 be safe
By elrompetoto
pinky wrote:
Chance wrote:

so 10w40 would be best for mine? Any special brand?
I use castrole high mile on my baby moble 1 is the oil used on all hondas in the dealer
By breez
#170394 I've had good experiences with royal purple, mobil syntec, castrol syntec, and sometimes I would add engine restore to help lubricate as well. :thumb: I put syntec in my tranny too never had any problems felt like it actually ran better :D . To each is his own you just gotta find wat works for you :thumb:
By Sentry
#170808 I run conventional, but with more frequent changes. Every 5000km (3000mi) or so.
By egsedanguy
#171000 castrol gtx :thumb: i love the stuff. never had a problem with it. and i used full synthetic in my focus. it seemed ok at first. then at about 2k-3kmiles into the oil i started to get valve tick when warming up. almost as iff the oil would actually runn off everything back to the pan leaving the head dry when first start. also had noticed it smoked a slight bit when starting. this is within the first 3500miles on the full syn. i eventually just said f this shit. i had to flush the motor out and went back to reg oil. never had a problem after. i say good ol oil is the best and proven to be the best since day one. just my 2cents :thumb:
By breez
egsedanguy wrote:castrol gtx :thumb: i love the stuff. never had a problem with it. and i used full synthetic in my focus. it seemed ok at first. then at about 2k-3kmiles into the oil i started to get valve tick when warming up. almost as iff the oil would actually runn off everything back to the pan leaving the head dry when first start. also had noticed it smoked a slight bit when starting. this is within the first 3500miles on the full syn. i eventually just said f this shit. i had to flush the motor out and went back to reg oil. never had a problem after. i say good ol oil is the best and proven to be the best since day one. just my 2cents :thumb:

wouldnt a bottle of lucas fix that up tho ? :thumb:
By blk92hb
#171012 Ok all i got to say is synthetic, synthetic, synthetic its in my motor and my trans and had no problem. I have a import tuner mag and they did a dyno run with different oils and with synthetic they gained 2 whp because of the oil. With synthetic there is less friction so its the best for a better and longer running motor :thumb: