Technical Topics specific to the 4 dr. Sedan body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By silverEG8
#340550 Hi guys,

I just replaced a busted LED bulb on my instrument panel. When I put back all the gauges, I noticed that my fuel gauge needle would go up to the full level even though the actual fuel is only one-half.

I tried to push the needle to the empty level (as it would normally go when turned off), but it still would go up to the full level as I turn on the ignition.

Could you guys help me with this... I'd really appreciate it. Thanks :D
By silverEG8
ihavesol93 wrote:did it work before?

Yes, it was working fine before I opened up the gauge panel.
By ihavesol93
#340558 sounds like a wire on the backside got grounded wrong, or shorted on another wire.

the way it works is the fuel level sending unit limits the amount of electricity, like a resistor, so the gauge shows the amount of current. so if it is touching wire that has a higher current, it will show a higher fuel level.
By silverEG8
ihavesol93 wrote:sounds like a wire on the backside got grounded wrong, or shorted on another wire.

the way it works is the fuel level sending unit limits the amount of electricity, like a resistor, so the gauge shows the amount of current. so if it is touching wire that has a higher current, it will show a higher fuel level.

Will the shorted wire be visible or is the wire the copper wiring that winds around the gauge? I checked the backside of the fuel gauge, everything seems to be just fine, except for what seems to be a cut copper wire from the winding. I tried to look for the other end, but I didn't find it.
By silverEG8
ihavesol93 wrote:sounds like a wire on the backside got grounded wrong, or shorted on another wire.

Will the shorted wire be visible or is the wire the copper wiring that winds around the gauge? I checked the backside of the fuel gauge, everything seems to be just fine, except for what seems to be a cut copper wire from the winding. I tried to look for the other end, but I didn't find it.
By silverEG8
ihavesol93 wrote:Are you able to get a pic?

Unfortunately, no. But I have an update... I had it check, and found out that the sending unit is busted. We disconnected the wiring from the fuel tank, and it did not move from the empty level. So it's the sending unit I have to replace. I don't know if it's just me but, I have searched websites here in the Philippines for a brand new replacement, but I couldn't find one. I guess I'll just have to settle for a surplus.
By silverEG8
ihavesol93 wrote:i would snag one from the junkyard if you can. or if you have any where your at.

I'll do just that. Thanks :thumb:
By silverEG8
#341286 After all the trouble I went through as how to get my fuel gauge fixed... here is the real problem. busted fuel gauge.

The copper windings of the fuel gauge mechanism had several breaks and so I had to replace it. But unfortunately, I had to get the whole gauge cluster.

I bought this JDM gauge cluster it had only 17927 kilometers in it.
And finally, my problem had been solved