Technical Topics specific to the 4 dr. Sedan body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By vtec_gloucester
#16575 right'o

whats the handling like in these 4 doors?

are parts as easy to get hold off as the hatch and coupe?

ive been offered a swap for one with my scooby legacy! but those 2 things are putting me off... i loved the go-kart handling of my hatch! so can the sedan match it?
By projecthonda
#16576 Ride/Handling/Performance

There's a noticeable softening of this Civic compared to previous versions. The ride is smoother, but at the expense of the taut, crisp handling that made older versions so much fun to drive. A major reason why the previously mentioned cowl was raised somewhat was to allow for greater suspension travel and a corresponding softening of the ride. Die hard Civic fans didn't like it, but the rest of the public didn't even notice.

Handling is still relatively firm and well controlled, but even on the Si and EX models there's a fair amount of body roll when cornered aggressively. Despite the roll, body movements remain controlled. Poor roads can still bottom out the suspension, a common trait in all Honda's and one that the raised cowl was supposed to address. In every day driving environments however, from the base models on up the Civic ride is quite comfortable--even refined--for a small car.

Power steering was not available on the CX and manual transmission equipped DX models, but was standard everywhere else.

Put a couple people and their stuff into the lower grade CX model and its 70hp engine shows signs of strain. You have to constantly work the gears (not all that unpleasant a task due to Honda's typically superb manual transmission) and keep the revs up to get any appreciable amount of forward motion.

The mid-range 102hp engine in the DX and LX models are much better suited to commuting and everyday usage. The excellent automatic transmission saps some power, and downshifts are a frequent occurrence under load. The engine moans and thrashes under hard acceleration, but not unpleasantly so.

Moving to the EX and Si models with their 1.6 liter, 125hp engine is a revelation. With the five speed, the Civic darts about with authority. Blip the gas and away you go. It's no barn burner, but it's enough. It's peppy enough to make you think twice about how much gas you give it in first gear--you'll be leaving rubber all over town if you're not careful. Some kind of limited slip differential would've been nice here.

All engines are smooth and relatively quiet, but no more so than many other four-bangers. Honda's (and Toyota's) smooth, quiet and refined four cylinder engines are no longer an exclusive selling point. They do, however, still make the best sounding noises. Mechanical precision comes to mind.

Braking is handled via front discs/rear drums on all models except the EX and Si models where four-wheel discs are standard. Strangely, anti-lock braking was available only on the LX sedan and the EX coupe. EX sedans carried it as standard equipment. Both setups stop the Civic quickly. We suspect the big difference would be that the disc/disc combo will be more resistant to fade under repeated hard use.

As you would expect, fuel economy is excellent on all, with particular recognition going to the VX model and it's 47/56 mpg score in EPA tests.

http://www.vmrintl.com/reviews/Honda_civic_92-95.htm

HTH :)
By vtec_gloucester
#16577 thanks for the info dude, but the one im looking at is the eg9 (b16a2)

i dont know if i can bring myself round to mod a 4 door civic. lol

i really miss my hatch and i wish i still owned it... now working for spoon sports europe my civic would have loved it. :hehe:
By projecthonda
#16588 im running on a b16a on my sedan, handling for me is very good.. although i thought driving a hatch with the same engine might be better since its smaller, easy with corners.. :)

but i still love my sedan :woot:
By dogfight
#16711 Handling can be improved easily.
ITR suspension pieces are readily available. usually a bolt on affair , little modification needed if necessary.

Aftermarket suspension is also a dream, Cusco, ETC ETC.. the list can go on.
Body roll can be corrected by various strut and chassis braces available for it.

Its fun to build more doors because not a lot would build these babies at least in the US, coz here in the philippines we dont get coupes not unless you got an EJ coupe which was imported from japan. yes japan. :)

In my years of having four doors, body panels are easy to replace since lots of used car parts from japan get sent here. so its pretty easy. it is really fun to build.

Now.. save up for that Integra-R motor. w00t!
By projecthonda
dogfight wrote:In my years of having four doors, body panels are easy to replace since lots of used car parts from japan get sent here. so its pretty easy. it is really fun to build.
+1 :woot: :woot:
By asianrob
#16757 the chassis is going to be a whole lot stiffer than the hatch backs because how the body is made similar to the coupes handling i suppose
By marquisdee1018
#16766 well, I love my 4 door. I only have a jdm d15b but I plan on going b series. I think that my car handles a lot better than my girlfriends accord. But then again, I have sway bars, lowering springs, wide rims, etc. Now as far as body parts, I don't have a problem finding them because the junkyard is full of 4 doors here in Texas :P
By Heeta
projecthonda wrote:im running on a b16a on my sedan, handling for me is very good.. although i thought driving a hatch with the same engine might be better since its smaller, easy with corners.. :)

but i still love my sedan :woot:

*WORD :)