Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By suspendedHatch
#99968 I agree. I wont dispose of my creature comforts in a car that is used primarily to get to work and back. But some things serve no real purpose (not to me at least) and are so effortless to remove, that I'll just remove them.

Aerodynamics prove much more effective. For instance, you can get a front lip spoiler from an Si/VX, a VX rear diffuser, and an AC delete (or fashion a grill block) and it will have much more impact on the quarter mile times and FE than weight reduction.
By Pg.99
#99969 My view is there's different ways of doing it dependant on your overall goal, and how hardcore you like your car. Some examples of no/low cost weight reductions:

Stock look
Lose air con/spare wheel, tools and jack, replaced with inflator/sealer, lightweight trailing arms/light weight battery relocated in boot.
Pro - Retain full interior/stock image. Substantial weight drop/no increase in noise levels or increase in driving effort.
Con - Removal of air con may be an issue if you really need it.

Stock look, part stripped
As above with sound deadening removed in part or in full/ABS delete/PAS delete.
Pro - Retains a full interior/stock image. Further substantial weight drop/performance increase.
Con - Dependant on the extent of what's removed day to day drivability may suffer significantly.

Fully stripped
As above with rear interior/carpets/trims/audio/ecltric windows/sunroof/etc removed.
Pro - Performance benefit.
Con - Undrivable for most people on a daily basis. Best left for the track or for the hardcore road driven brigade only.

Personally, I never had air con or ABS anyway, and had only intended to go as far as the "Stock look" I described, but after driving without the rear interior in for a couple of days since not bothering to put it back in yet and feeling the benefit to how the car reacts, I've now decided to lose the rear seats but make a matching carpeted flat floor in the back. Most people can find a degree of weight reduction on a daily driver they're happy with, and it all helps.
Last edited by Pg.99 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By Adzgtr
#99988 id like a rear diffuser but not many places do them the spoon lip and ek side skirts on my eg need somthign to sort rear air flow
By suspendedHatch
#100494 OEM VX rear diffuser costs like $35 from the dealer.
By Adzgtr
#100549 i was thinking of making summink like this

wouldnt be to hard to get some alloy bent like that make sure its perfectly flat when mounted and angle very slowly.

and if i want to be a right pain in the ass on strip get soem gaffa tape and put it over all th eholes in the body work haahha

but back to the weight reduction the reason its soo important to me is saved fuel quicker cornering over all better car unless its wet ;)
By Adzgtr
#102255 i was wondering is there any direct swaps for no power steering rack ?? as i have done the cut and loop pipes before but i was wondering if theres a direct swap
By suspendedHatch
#102267 Manual steering Civics are more common than power steering Civics. Only the automatics, EX's, and Si's had power steering. Possibly all the four doors, I'm not sure.

Besides the rack and the pinch bolt, you also need the crossmember. The mounts are different.
By Graham
suspendedHatch wrote:OEM VX rear diffuser costs like $35 from the dealer.

You dont happen to know the part number do you..?
By Adzgtr
#102276 i ahve a manual rack and noticed this in my integra but also the splines are too small to fit in. i was thinking of just making a plate on the cross member to fit it but the conection sides didnt fit either.

the car im getting is an lsi duel poitn injection fairly light weight but i want to make it even lighter. have you got any info/pics on how the manual rack would have to be fitted
By JUICE
#102305 i wish i could take out my backseat...... it my DD and i dont think my dog would dig that too much. he likes it, and his punk ass is always with me!
By courtottman
#114431 would some aspect's of wieght reduction decrease the rigidity of the car?
By Punksz6
#114581 I wold take my seats and panels out too like I had before but I am married now and have a son and that just don't work with a Recaro car seat!!
By 92egpac
Adzgtr wrote:

do fish get thirsty? :? :P
By OleFolk
#201731 I like the idea of flex a lite windows and carbon fiber instead of drilling holes in my car

Does anyone know the weight on the ac unit and or power steering plus lines ?
Last edited by OleFolk on Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
By OleFolk
Graham wrote:
flyinryan122 wrote:Goal was to build a fast civic, that kept FULL interior, and on a SOHC.

I <3 You

:lol: