Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By J40987
#345331 Hi, I have an eg 1992 hatch with a d12 engine. I was looking to swap out the motor mounts and noticed that the studs that go into the motor mounts have quite a bit of play in them. Is this normal? It makes me think that the motor may jump around when it goes!

By Driv-it-hard
#345340 I have a 95 EG with a B18C1 in mine. That mount you have in your hand is the driver side lower mount on the ac bracket. This is technically not a engine mount, as considered a damper for vibration. The bolt that travels through the mount has alot of play. Your good.
By Driv-it-hard
#345341 Sorry for the second post,
I forgot. That could also be the trany secondary mount. Also ment for a damper and not considered a hard mount.
By HeikDiesel
#345349 J40987, are you saying that the studs have play where they thread into the mount, or when the mount slips over the studs that they have play into that mount. Can you take a picture of what you are talking about?
By suspendedHatch
#345353 The front lower engine mounts are there to reduce the amount your engine torques. You can buy inserts to stiffen them up, but it greatly increases vibration in the passenger cabin and that's why there's so little rubber there OEM.

They are ripped and in need of replacement on every EG and DC I have ever looked at. Inserts make shifts a lot smoother and more consistent, and helps prevent the big engine jump you get on heavy launches.

I have been planning to try a compromise... some material I can pour into the mounts that hardens to the same durometer as the OEM rubber. I have thought about trying to fill the top and sides but leaving the bottom open. The vibration is really only a problem when stopped at idle.
By J40987
#345356 Sorry about the confusion. But yes it's a secondary trany mount that sits lower on the passenger side. I don't mean the bolts that keep it on the frame but that rod in the picture that slips into the mount itself. There looks to be a good 1/3" of play there and I was wondering if that was normal as I assumed that the fit of that rod to the holder would be flush to reduce any play when the engine or transmission applies any torque. Either that or I got the wrong mounts for my trany.

suspendedHatch has given me hope that this might not be the case and having that much play is normal. But I sure hope that he's referring to the diameter of that ring in the middle and not the hollow spaces in the rubber!

Here's another angle from the inside where the transmission support arm is mounted and slips into the secondary lower transmission mount.

There sure is a lot of play in this. That arm wobbles!
By m578elb
#345366 It's ok, it comes like that, has a nut and a washer at the end that need tithing.
By J40987
#345388 Alright cool. Thanks for the help. Just wanted to make sure!

Can I put spacers or sleeves on that transmission support arm to remove the play? Or are there available studs to that can be used to replace it for a better fit?