Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By suspendedHatch
#338681 Airbags from this era are not safe or reliable. Nor are these cars safe at all. If safety was my concern, I could not justify driving this car when I have a safe modern car sitting in the garage. I haven't caused a crash in over 16 years of driving so I'm willing to take my chances.

I helped a woman who was in an accident probably around 30mph. The airbag did more damage than good. I've also known people who have broken their noses, wrists etc from airbag deployment when it was unlikely they would have had the same injury without it. I'm a firm believer in seat belts however, and airbags have improved significantly since their introduction.

The 5mph bumper supports were lobbied for by US insurance companies who wished to lower their costs on head lights, turn signals, and brake lights from people crashing in narrow apartment parking spaces and low speed accidents in parking lots. They do absolutely nothing to protect your frame, and they are non existent in other countries where insurance doesn't have as much political power.

The more speakers you have, the worse your staging, especially when the speakers are behind your head. Rear speakers increase SPL, and they're intended for rear passengers; neither of which are of concern to me. I elect to put some decent speakers in the front with mdf mounting rings and dynamat speaker kits. In the past I've amplified the speakers and used midbass drivers in the rear set to low pass, or simply add a small subwoofer. These cars are very noisy and not worth an expensive or complex setup unless you want to dynamat the whole car, insulate the underside of the hood, get quiet tires, and have a quiet exhaust.
By Virux
suspendedHatch wrote:I helped a woman who was in an accident probably around 30mph. The airbag did more damage than good. I've also known people who have broken their noses, wrists etc from airbag deployment when it was unlikely they would have had the same injury without it. I'm a firm believer in seat belts however, and airbags have improved significantly since their introduction.

Yes, well airbags do tend to cause secondary injuries. There's no doubt it banged her up good at those speeds, 65+mph would have been completely different though. We also need to consider the physical preparation of a crash, staring down at your phone or radio is not the best way to approach your airbag. In summary here airbags ideally prevent death, not injury. It spreads bodily impact force over a larger area, which is nice because the seatbelt itself can easily kill you as well.

suspendedHatch wrote:Airbags from this era are not safe or reliable.

It's no secret that a majority of air bag deaths between 1990 and 2004 are from children and physically small drivers- largely in low-speed collisions. This is why modern vehicles have an air bag switch or weight sensors in the seats. However I'm 5'10 220lbs, I'm not worried in the least of my airbag killing me. I can come to the agreement these airbags are dangerous for physically small drivers at low speeds. I do think they help those same drivers at high speeds however.

suspendedHatch wrote:Nor are these cars safe at all. If safety was my concern, I could not justify driving this car when I have a safe modern car sitting in the garage.

I do know the frontal overlap test is one of the most difficult in todays standards, which I feel the EG did fairly well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSQoHVlEfLY#t=156 The EG didn't score horribly on it's crash tests either: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Civic#USA but yeah I'd still consider it unsafe thanks to all these heavy cars out on the road.

suspendedHatch wrote:The 5mph bumper supports were lobbied for by US insurance companies who wished to lower their costs on head lights, turn signals, and brake lights from people crashing in narrow apartment parking spaces and low speed accidents in parking lots. They do absolutely nothing to protect your frame, and they are non existent in other countries where insurance doesn't have as much political power.

Well I don't know about all that. If they're going to save my precious lights then I'm keeping them anyways. Wouldn't they stiffen the frame too? I think I read about an old set of traction bars that used the 5mph supports.

suspendedHatch wrote:

I'll keep your speaker advice for sure.. still need some research in that area. I have Polk Audio 6.5's all around with a headunit, I love having the rear. But I'm planning on doing some 6.5 midbass in the back just as you did, how did that turn out?
By smichka
#338947 My daily Eg5 195.000km still going :)
By smichka
#338948 Image

sry for double posting but i can't post url in my 1st post :D
By suspendedHatch
#340016 There was a company selling a set of bolts that would brace the bumper supports to the frame rails, but they went out of business. On race prepped vehicles they remove the bumper supports and weld or bolt up a tube in its place.

Lowering a Civic is just as dangerous and just as likely to make your lights vulnerable as anything I've suggested. Even if you don't lower it, SUVs and late model cars are so high off the ground that your bumper doesn't line up to theirs, effectively nullifying any protection it was meant to provide. I don't tend to worry about parking lot accidents because I don't drive like an [racist][sexist]. :lol:
By Phoenix288
#340022 Spoon sell those things aswell, it's not that expensive either but I'm not sure how much time the installation of those things is.

Here is the link: http://www.spoonsportseurope.net/products/civic-eg6/body-reinforcement-civic-eg6/sub-frame-rigid-collar-kit-dc2-db8-eg2-eg6-eg9.html
By suspendedHatch
#340275 ^^ those rims are nice.

I installed the ITR springs/struts/LCAs, GSR front and rear swaybars, and GSR front upper and lower tie bars. The ITR suspension didn't raise the car at all. I wish I had measured before and after but I suspect it's the same ride height or very slightly lower. Most people would not be happy with the looks, but it handles amazing on the street. Aggressive, grippy, no body roll at highway speeds and not at all harsh. The car should have come this way stock!!

I installed a Viper alarm/keyless entry and swapped in OEM door lock actuators. They're wired for driver's priority unlock to prevent gas station "sliding".

I wired the trunk pop but haven't yet put in the actuator. Totally feel like a dumbass holding the aux button for no reason just because I mistake this car for the one I used to have.

I ran 12 gauge wire to the door speakers and re-mounted them with spacers to eliminate the air gaps from the jury-rigged installation. I also installed the power mirror wiring into the doors though I haven't yet found a driver's side power mirror.

I rewired the key sense chime to be a headlight warning chime and de-pinned the seat belt chime wire at the ICM. I prefer it this way vs unplugging it at the seat so that it will still give the dash warning light if someone is driving w/out being belted in.

I rewired the clock to be on when the key is forward only one click. I like to have the radio and clock on while I'm waiting for someone in a parking lot, but I don't want the idle motor, rad fan, and all the sensors powered up as they are if you're in the 2nd key position.

If anyone is interested in a how-to on these electrical hacks, let me know and I'll type one up.

I didn't check the ignition timing before my road trip because it passed smog and that is something they are supposed to check. I was disappointed with the fuel economy (35-38mpg, VX should be 45). When I got back, I discovered that the distributor bolts were loose and the timing had slipped (damn previous owner!). The owner had the idle speed screw way out of adjustment as well.

I blocked the grill in front of the AC and half the radiator with cardboard but it did fuck-all for the fuel economy thanks to the ignition timing being off.

I also haven't yet got around to swapping the cruise control. That would have been great to have before the road trip.

Still need to get a tilt column and rear disc brakes. I keep forgetting to take torx bits to the junkyard.

Finally found a glovebox, though it's the 94-95 heavier, lower capacity box. I'm keeping an eye out for a 92-93.
By chrono404
#340309 I picked up my new Civic for this very reason. The WRX can get 25-27 mpg on eco map in the summer, however in Winter with all of our cold air the wrx is only getting 19-20 mpg in eco map. dont even want to think what the stage 2 map will do.

Its an ex sedan with most if not all the trimings, what little are not on their will be added over time. As long as it gettings decent MPG's it will be a Daily Driver and the wrx can enjoy weekend/shoping runs.

I really wish their was an EG Wagon. I love how damn practical it is having a station wagon. when its sporty it makes you want to drive fast and have things in the back slide around though. >_>
By Javieg6
#340345 Man daily driving a civic in long beach is tough I wanna take my baby out but so much honda theft I hate it
By suspendedHatch
#340446 What security do you have on it? Security on a Honda in California is a necessity.
By Dr.D
#342108 DD winter beater

My black roof looking good 8)
Work in progress please don't rip on me about the rust I'm imbarassed enough :oops: I'm saving my pennies for the panels to do it myself.
Last edited by Dr.D on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
By evalex
#342627 Image

My trusty winter beater :woot:
By silverEG8
#342646 I love the matte finish :)