Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By TrailerTrash
#332444 ive never heard of this :?
By jadeydrag0117
TrailerTrash wrote:ive never heard of this :?

i think teal did it on his eg...
By rustyrex
#332448 A lot of people use color sand and wet sand interchangeably. Use 1500-2000 grit wet/dry paper, soak it in a bucket of water with a drop or two I'd dawn dish soap. And sand the car. All you are doing is taking the texture out of the color coat or clear coat. So you do not need a lot of pressure.
By TrailerTrash
#332485 ohhhh i see what your saying :lol:
By rustyrex
#332534 You do if you want a smooth as glass finish. Some body men dont though. When I painted my old 84 rx7 I painted between each coat of color or each coat of clear.
By Graham
#332759 You dont, the finish is in the lacquer not the colour, so its pointless sanding the colour and if its metallic it'll just make it look flatter than if you didnt sand it
By rustyrex
#332762 Actually you do man. Have you ever been involved in a Concours quality restoration? How about paint Bentley's or Rolls Royce's or a Pagani? My uncle has been a Bentley and Rolls Royce certified painter for over 35 years. The techniques used for a paint and prep vary depending on paint brand, viscosity, finish desired, whether its metallic, candy, pearl whatever. Also the environment the vehicle is painted it will have a affect on how you approach the finishing. The first time I helped my uncle paint a Flying Spur we read a bookthat Bentley supplied him during training and they require sanding between every color coat and every second clear coat. That is how you achieve the "piano finish" that comes on those cars. Of course there are other ways to achieve this. But he was trained by 2 companies who have been voted to have some of the best paint jobs in the industry. So I will take his advice over anyone's when it comes to painting a car.
By Axix23
#332767 only problem about this is sometimes your sanding marks show up after you cleared it. It happened to me once.
By rustyrex
#332768 It can. But if the correct grit, tools, and pressure are used they won't. That all comes from experience though.
By jadeydrag0117
Axix23 wrote:only problem about this is sometimes your sanding marks show up after you cleared it. It happened to me once.

haha well maybe you didnt use the right grit or didnt do a good sanding job.
By Graham
rustyrex wrote:Actually you do man. Have you ever been involved in a Concours quality restoration? How about paint Bentley's or Rolls Royce's or a Pagani? My uncle has been a Bentley and Rolls Royce certified painter for over 35 years. The techniques used for a paint and prep vary depending on paint brand, viscosity, finish desired, whether its metallic, candy, pearl whatever. Also the environment the vehicle is painted it will have a affect on how you approach the finishing. The first time I helped my uncle paint a Flying Spur we read a bookthat Bentley supplied him during training and they require sanding between every color coat and every second clear coat. That is how you achieve the "piano finish" that comes on those cars. Of course there are other ways to achieve this. But he was trained by 2 companies who have been voted to have some of the best paint jobs in the industry. So I will take his advice over anyone's when it comes to painting a car.

Actually yes, the bodyshop i started off at regularily dealt with high end cars like you mentioned, the only reason we ever sanded between coats was when something went wrong