Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By yashep
#29870 Sup everyone, I've been working on my car trying to prep it for paint and most of the bodywork its almost done but I have a question tho, how do I remove the moulding that's on the roof, the one that runs from the front all the way to the back? :? I want to clean and paint under it and the moulding but before I break anything I want to know for sure how to remove it. I have to buy almost every clip on the hatch and don't want to buy any more, except if they need to be replaced not by me breaking them. :hehe:
Thanx in advance, and by the way i'm taking pics of it so I can post the later :thumb: .
By yashep
Graham wrote:If you open your rear hatch it and pull it it just slides out!

Its a bit of a pain though :P

Thanks Graham :thumb: .
Good, cause I was told that I needed to remove the winshield moulding and didn't want to do it like that. Thanx man but what do you mean it's a bit of a pain? it's hard to pull or something? Does it have any clips? I'm planning on doing this over the weekend
By Graham
#29904 Well it was a wee while ago i took mine out, but i didnt take off the windscreen mouldings. It just sort of slots in place, you'll see what i mean when you get it off :P

Its just awkward to get hold of (or mine was) and took a bit of pushing and pulling to get it free

Getting it back on is easy though :thumb:
By yashep
#30053 Thanx man I'll give it a shot and let you know how it comes out :thumb: or slide out for that matter :lol: .
By suspendedHatch
#30180 I used a plastic pry tool that I have for removing interior panels.
By yashep
#30317 Last night I pulled them out and man they were dirty underneath. I found all sorts of thing, i'm glad I removed them. Have the moulding and skirts out for painting. and ost of the bodywork is done (It didn't have much) Still having problems with the interiors and the hole on my pillar tho, my hatch has black panels and the doors i got have grey panels. I read on another site that you could paint them with Dupli-color. As soon as I finish the outside that's my new project as well as the pw/pl convertion. sorry that I didn't upload any pics but I left my camera on my mother's house, she has a garage and I don't :( .
By BAXTER_EJ1
#30318 You're installing pw and pl on on your existing doors? Why paint the panels? Unless you already have the pw and pl panels...

I want to do this in the spring except I think I am just going to look into buying 4 doors with all the motors and relays already factory installed and just wire them up, keep us posted on this!
By yashep
MKennedy86 wrote:You're installing pw and pl on on your existing doors? Why paint the panels? Unless you already have the pw and pl panels...

I want to do this in the spring except I think I am just going to look into buying 4 doors with all the motors and relays already factory installed and just wire them up, keep us posted on this!

I bought other doors cause my driver door is damage beyond repair and here in PR this is a rare find. I got mine from a lady whose car got totaled and she practically gave them for free ($150 for both doors with everything, panels, motors switches, etc. gay grape color tho) but the problem is that the panels are grey and my interior is black. Knowing how are things around here I think my best chance is to paint them black cause frankly I don't think I'm gonna be able to find black ones. Some of you might say to go to a junkyard but jukyards here are way to expensive plus the parts are in the worst conditions you can get them. And ebay is good but the shipping is way to much.
About the interiors I once talk to a guy who does this for show cars and stuff and he offer me to do it for free :? but its been a long time since we talk and i haven't been able to find him.
I think I'm doing this before spring I'll let you know how it goes. The key is on the prep work as with any paint job, just make sure you clean the surface with degreaser and wax and grease remover and use lots of adhesion promoter. I think I remmember seen a "how-to" somewhere, if I find it I can post it if you guys want. Our own DIY will be better tho. :thumb: