Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By tbomber266k
#225589 hhmmm so the CF hood i have on my car was painted black...idk why the dude i bought it from painted it..anyways...the black paint is starting to chip off and you can see the exposed CF underneath...i was wondering..if i scapped off all that paint...and used the DIY that you have posted here....would it make the hood look new if done right? or would the paint have messed up the CF. im tryna be cheap and not spend 400 bucks on a new hood. any suggestions? if i end up doing it ill post some pics! =]
By 95c1v1c
#225614 I work around carbon fiber components in my career field in the USAF, the only thing that kills CF is oil....I would say paint it again, it needs to be protected either by paint or clearcoat.
By tbomber266k
95c1v1c wrote:I work around carbon fiber components in my career field in the USAF, the only thing that kills CF is oil....I would say paint it again, it needs to be protected either by paint or clearcoat.
so by following the DIY on here you think i could bring my carbon fiber hood back to life?
By Chance
tbomber266k wrote: so by following the DIY on here you think i could bring my carbon fiber hood back to life?

Yes. But that is assuming there wasn't a previous issue/damage under the paint from the previous owner. But yes, you could strip the paint and re-clearcoat the hood to look new if all is well underneath the paint.

:thumb:
By tbomber266k
Chance wrote:
tbomber266k wrote: so by following the DIY on here you think i could bring my carbon fiber hood back to life?

Yes. But that is assuming there wasn't a previous issue/damage under the paint from the previous owner. But yes, you could strip the paint and re-clearcoat the hood to look new if all is well underneath the paint.

:thumb:
:woot: thanks bro! imma strip it as soon as i get home from work..in aprox...20 minutes haha. if theres damage underneath. ill just spray paint it with flat black again....since i dont even have a paint job done to my car yet. but thanks for the info. :thumb: