Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By Gustavo
#218527 So i need some info or DIY on how to paint my 92 Hatch. And can someone guide me through the right path... Wat do i need 2 fully paint my hatch...I mean inside n out. Yes inside, my hatch is gutted no carpet or back seats n im tired of the red floor. So i need 2 know wat kinda paint n clear coat 2get? I will b painting the hatch white. Should i get a gallon of paint or more? :? Im sorry 4 all the questions it's just it's my 1st hatch that i will b painting n i want it 2b perfect.
Last edited by Gustavo on Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
By chrono404
#218539 I will be doing a DIY on Painting cars as soon as I do my Sedan EBP.

Tips until I make it.

>- Dail it in BEFORE you start painting anything on your car.
>- Have the gun about 6-7 Inches from what your painting.
>- Prepwork is everything. after any body work you want is done use 600-800 grit sand paper and go over all your old paint. Use Primer over any bondo/plastics.
>- REMOVE all Stickers, then I would recommend a heat gun, then lighter fluid for the residue. once its evaporated your good to go.
>- Paint side to side. Watch videos of people painting on youtube to see how other people do it.
>- Practice before paiting. I used an old fender from a sedan I scraped about a year ago. Paint on something and make sure it comes out how you excpect it will.

I got 2 Quarts of EBP. When you factor in Reducer/Hardner you get close to 3 Quarts. You also want a 2 stage paint. As in a Base Coat and a Clear Coat.

Pic of Supplys:
Practice Fender before Clear:
By Gustavo
chrono404 wrote:I will be doing a DIY on Painting cars as soon as I do my Sedan EBP.

Tips until I make it.

>- Dail it in BEFORE you start painting anything on your car.
>- Have the gun about 6-7 Inches from what your painting.
>- Prepwork is everything. after any body work you want is done use 600-800 grit sand paper and go over all your old paint. Use Primer over any bondo/plastics.
>- REMOVE all Stickers, then I would recommend a heat gun, then lighter fluid for the residue. once its evaporated your good to go.
>- Paint side to side. Watch videos of people painting on youtube to see how other people do it.
>- Practice before paiting. I used an old fender from a sedan I scraped about a year ago. Paint on something and make sure it comes out how you excpect it will.

I got 2 Quarts of EBP. When you factor in Reducer/Hardner you get close to 3 Quarts. You also want a 2 stage paint. As in a Base Coat and a Clear Coat.

Pic of Supplys:
Practice Fender before Clear:

Thanks!!! :thumb: Plus i go 2 college for auto body collision repair n refinishing. So i got some body work experience, still practicing on the painting.
By Gustavo
#222589 Wat u guys think.. Some people say i dont need 2 use primer, but i think i should. Wat do ya think?
By RPGonzos_EJ
#222595 you always want primer if you expect a consistent result.

my 2 cents, i have used the old paint as a "primer" and just sand it REALLLY well before but i always prefer fresh primer.
By Gustavo
RPGonzos_EJ wrote:you always want primer if you expect a consistent result.

my 2 cents, i have used the old paint as a "primer" and just sand it REALLLY well before but i always prefer fresh primer.

Thanks. I'm gonna use primer.
By Gustavo
#222629 Where can i buy Championship White paint. N Whats the average price for a gallon of this paint? Oreilleys is charging me $300 for the gallon.
By chrono404
Gustavo wrote:Where can i buy Championship White paint. N Whats the average price for a gallon of this paint? Oreilleys is charging me $300 for the gallon.

Local Autozone's have a Duplicolor Championship White for $22.99 a Quart. Thats $99.96 A gallon. You wont need more then 2 Quarts of paint for an EG.
By Gustavo
chrono404 wrote:
Gustavo wrote:Where can i buy Championship White paint. N Whats the average price for a gallon of this paint? Oreilleys is charging me $300 for the gallon.

Local Autozone's have a Duplicolor Championship White for $22.99 a Quart. Thats $99.96 A gallon. You wont need more then 2 Quarts of paint for an EG.

Our Autozone dont sell paint here. So i dont need a gallon of paint 2 fully paint my hatchback? I'm painting inside n out.
By chrono404
#222643 Autozone.com ship's.

2 Quarts should cover the outside + Jams of a EG. if doing engine bay and the intirity of the inside(like a stripped back end) then you will want more.
By Gustavo
chrono404 wrote:Autozone.com ship's.

2 Quarts should cover the outside + Jams of a EG. if doing engine bay and the intirity of the inside(like a stripped back end) then you will want more.

Yeah im painting the outside n the back part behind the driver n passenger seat n back.
By Gustavo
Gustavo wrote:
chrono404 wrote:Autozone.com ship's.

Yeah im painting the outside n the back part behind the driver n passenger seat n back.

Engine bay is gonna b another color. :D
By Gustavo
#233699 So i was wondering if $45 for a gallon of Championship White is a good deal?
I think it's a steal but wanna know if i can get it somewhere else for cheaper.
By chrono404
Gustavo wrote:So i was wondering if $45 for a gallon of Championship White is a good deal?
I think it's a steal but wanna know if i can get it somewhere else for cheaper.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/access ... 98491_0_0_

$26 Bucks locally.

Edit: Reread gallon. 26 bucks is for a quort so it would be over 100 bucks for a gallon. $45 bucks for a gallon is a steal.
By LaosToaster
#234131 when i went to a paint shop i was about to do my paint job also and i asked for white primer paint. he asked me what u need it for. i said since imma paint my car white imma need white primer, he said u dont need primer only if u needa spray it over bondo or dents u repaired. i also believe he said primer is like a body filler u can sand out to get a smoother finish. and prepping is veryyyyyyyy important. had to learn the hard way. and if its ur first time using a spray gun u gotta practice a bit, i also had a problem with my spray gun clogging up which i got pissed at, so i had to rush the job cuz i passed the ppoint of no turning back :( . i think i spent $200 for everything. i bought it from some company off ebay.